Which One Would You Go For?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chadmeister

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Y'all!

Which one would you go for? The halcyon or the Apeks?

Halcyon being offered for $300 non negotiable, Apeks for $250 and there is room to wiggle. But both will need a service I assume :) I like both brands which is why I'm confused...

FYI, those are not my pictures, the sellers showed me what they have hence using them to ask what you guys think.

Thanks!

C

Halcyon, just personal bias. Though you seem to be missing the STA for the Halcyon. Is that included? It's a bit pricy if you have to buy one new, but still not unreasonable even with that. I paid $500 or so for a used infinity and I'm still using it. If you need to buy the STA get the one with the weight in it, despite the price it's worth it if you need more than 3kg of lead to keep neutral with 40 bar.

I would go for the Apex. The backplate pouch, the four Halcyon patches and all the blue Hs don't add $50 worth of value to the other one. Simple is always best when it comes to backplate/wing combos. You shouldn't really need to service either one. Buy the Apex and use the extra money on a few dives.

Hi Guys!

Apeks just sold so I guess it's halcyon :) unless that's sold too then it's back to the drawing board.

C

The halcyon is *really* missing the STA: you cannot dive single tank using just the two strap on the pictures. Halcyon wings have no slot where the tank strap can go through.
M

A complete Halcyon rig for $300 is a good deal, assuming the wing is in good shape. Be thankful that the apeks rig sold, that wing looked far too big for my tastes, especially in a warm water set up.

You could probably find a new oxycheq or dive rite BP/W for a little more money. you might try calling caveadventurers to see what they have. Part of the price would depend on whether it's a stainless steel or aluminum plate. Then again, this rig appears to have some sort of weight pockets included on the waist belt, so that's worth something as well, I guess. H users love their stuff, but usually they paid quite a bit so they better love it...

It is H Pioneer wing, it doesn't need STA

Oh, I see, sorry I didn't recognize it at first glance.

I bought a used pioneer set up, the flange broke out of the wing, sent it back to Halcyon and they sent me a brand new Eclipse 30 wing and STA for free. They really stand behind their products

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom