No Topic/Chat thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone hear about this? Curious how it happened. From the Venice Scope via Facebook:
Diver in distress rescued
A man who was diving in the Gulf about a mile off Venice and whose kayak took on water and couldn't be righted was rescued by emergency services personnel Thursday evening. The man said he was tired but otherwise OK. See Saturday's Gondolier Sun for more on this story.

News to me! Nothing about it on the local (SNN) news this morning.

I guess we will have to read it in the paper Saturday when it comes out. It would be of interest to us Kayak divers
so we don't make the same mistake. I know that I and many others do take great care to dive safely, but the risks are always high with our hobby.

This came up from the same location. I was in a kayak three hours earlier and the seas were kicking up. Hope they didn't lose too much gear!
Venice firemedics rescued a man clinging to his overturned kayak in the Gulf of Mexico Thursday. Venice Fire Department responded to a water rescue call around 5:30 p.m. Sept. 4 . The man who made the call to 911 met the emergency crew at the Venice Beach Pavilion and told them he swam to shore to get help from his cousin who was still in the gulf with the kayak. He said they had been diving for sharks’ teeth when the vessel overturned and they were not able to right the craft. Venice Fire Rescue Boat 51 was launched, and with assistance from fire personnel on the beach, located the man who was still adrift. Firefighters were able to pull the man and his kayak from the sea and bring them to shore. Neither man involved in the incident was injured.

My guess would be inexperienced kayak divers using a sit in, rather than a sit on kayak. Only reason I can see that they couoldn't right it and it was taking on water, or they weren't using paddle leashes and lost their paddles. I'm just speculating, since details are spotty.

Saw a picture of the yak on the Sun's web site & it does appear to be a sit in yak.

Two persons in an open Kayak with dive equipment is a recipe for disaster. I am happy that all are okay as this could have ended much different. If only they had searched the scuba board and Internet they would have learned the correct and safe procedures to take before diving like this. On the flip side no pun intended they did have a dive buddy. Happy diving all !

FYI
Another front coming going to get a good stir Thursday
WEDNESDAY NIGHT
NORTH WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS. SEAS BUILDING 5 TO
7 FEET. BAY AND INLAND WATERS ROUGH.

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 07:26 PM ----------

fyi
Tugs boats out in boneyard today unloading and submerging pipes to start beach renourishment project, was told they would be running shift 24/7 once they start.. south jetties to Venice pier I was told

20160518_111117.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160517_112203479_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160517_112203479_HDR.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20160516_112231192.jpg
    IMG_20160516_112231192.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 93
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom