Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chadmeister

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All,

I'm on the path of looking into going into the instructor side of diving, and reading a few books. I am currently reading the Scuba Professional and Scuba Confidential books. In them there is mention of those 2 books:

Stress and Performance in Diving by Arthur J. Bachrach and Glen H. Egsrom. Its going for crazy prices on Amazon... is it worth the 400-700$ price mark??

The Tao of Survival Underwater. Is this worth a grab for over 100$??

Does anyone here have them and wouldn't mind selling them to me for a not so bank breaking price?

Thanks!

C

I suspect they are just out of print. Don't pay the collector price just to read it because if it is good, it's like to come out in print again now that microprinting, printing on demand and e-publishing have necome more common.

Just keep looking, I've found a couple $200 OOP books pop up for sale through the Salvation Army (for $10-20). For example, Exley's Basic Cave Diving was $100+ thru Amazon. (Even now $64). Bullfeathers: dive shops in Fla and the Cave Society (NNS because I can't spell the 1st word) sell it for less than $12.

Book 1 is 50$ Stress and Performance in Diving

Exploration and Mixed Gas Diving Encyclopedia The Tao of Survival Underwater Decompression Injuries & Emergency Treatment
The authors of this publication are on ResearchGate and have made the full-text available on their profiles.
smallpreview.png

Conference Paper: Exploration and Mixed Gas Diving Encyclopedia The Tao of Survival Underwater Decompression Injuries & Emergency Treatment

If you just want to read it, you could also just start seaching libraries. Many libraries are part of huge cooperative networks, list their collections online and offer distance lending. If you aren't an Internet search wiz, buy some chocolates for her and go see you city librarian.

Thanks a lot @FinnMom !! I actually don't live in the USA so rare diving books or diving books in general aren't quite as available in the UAE and when they are, they're very very expensive...

I had that book available to me, since my uncle was a scuba driver. Its a very nice book. You would learn new concepts on scuba diving. Go for it.

The Tao of underwater survival is an iantd book. I guess you can get it there. That doesn't mean in the USA, but there are licencees. Try it with the licencee of your region, or one of the nearest regions.
I guess it is still available. And maybe in pdf too. As they have now a lot of books in pdf too.

There are now new books of iantd too, the Tao of cave diving manual for example.

Back
Top Bottom