Hello from Tennessee! (looking for advice on fins)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Oforme

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm new to ScubaBoard. I'm in the process of getting open-water certification. Need some advice on fins. Any recommendations for good fins that are inexpensive would be greatly appreciated. Also wondering if there are any particular fins that would be better for my 10-yr-old who is also getting certified.

Thanks!

After using a number of brands and models I find that the Aeris Accel's fit my needs best. Good power and control, almost neutral buoyancy, inexpensive, light and short for travel but still powerful. Here's a link: Aeris Accel Open Heel Fin Xl-Xxl Gray 12+

I paid $89. these are $49. Can't beat it with a stick.

howdy and welcome from south Florida......

I'm in Nashville, bought full-foot fins first, wish I hadn't. Buy your neoprene boots, then some strap fins that fit. I prefer some sort of spring, bungee, or method of releasing fin straps to simplify taking them off and putting them on.

Last edited:
what kind of diving do you intend to do? The Scubapro Jet fins are pretty much the gold standard, though many other standard blade fins work well. OMS Slipstream, Dive Rite XT, Hollis, Hog Tech 2, etc etc. The new Deep 6 fins will be here in a week or two and are quite good and cheap. Spring straps trump any other kind of strap out there, and don't let anyone talk you into split fins. Same with snorkels, buy the cheapest, simplest snorkel you can find, you're scuba diving, not skin diving....

Thank you all for your advice! Lots of good options to look into! The plan is to be able to go scuba diving in the caribbean maybe once a year. I'm sure we will also do a few quarries and lakes to keep up our skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom