Was my Nav course necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richboslice

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was planning on a dive with my instructor after completing my OW cert. I have been diving for a while now but just now managed to get my course completed, mainly because where I live. We were meeting at a quarry a few hours away and planned on a 90+ dive. He wanted me to take an online navigation course. Being an outdoorsman and having grown up in florida, snorkeling, free diving springs, surfing, camping, hiking etc, I am familiar with navigation. This course was $130 and I really did not get anything from it. I want to learn all I can about the sport but I don't want to spend my money wastefully. Is there courses that aren't necessary that I can skip if I already know the information or do I have to buy all the courses to progress through my certifications?

Discuss it with your instructor. Navigation underwater adds a third dimension (obviously) beyond the task loading, but the quality of PADI instructional materials at least is pretty dire / made so a complete newbie can understand it. Instruction can be valuable, the course materials often less so in my admittedly limited experience.

AOW (PADI) has navigation required, and having an AOW certification is useful down the line. As is Nitrox. For practical purposes. But I did not feel either course materials provided particularly great value - the certification did for what it lets me rent, but as an MD, Nitrox in particular was so dumbed down that it was annoying, raising more questions than it answered at times. Did make me want to learn a bit more about dive physiology though.

I think the problem with some scuba instruction is that it has to cater for the lowest possible denominator, and if often aimed at people with no knowledge of the subject. In my experience most people do not know how to use a compass properly, and have no idea how to navigate with one.

Simple techniques such as aiming off, resection and countering drift or current, combined with additional techniques such as reading sand ripples and sunlight/shadow direction really do seem like some sort of dark art until you thoroughly understand them.

So often if you do already know something about the subject the level taught in scuba classes will not stretch you.

It also depends on your instructor, do they just cover the basics or do they go further and test your own knowledge then stretch you. (do they even really understand the subject in-depth themselves anyway?).

Hopefully a good instructor will test your knowledge then try to stretch you, rather than just deliver the basics, unless of course it is a large group, in which case you are back to teaching to the lowest denominator.

Don't be put off, but the levels of knowledge taught in scuba classes is often not that in depth.

Dive safe - Phil.

Im going to leap to the conclusion that you are in the process of a PADI certification and start bashing you now. (Just Kidding) Im not clear on what your goals in diving are at this point.

If I remember correctly Padi AOW navigation dive is Dive 1 from the Navigation specialty not the whole specialty certification I would discus with your instructor about what he hopes for you to get out of this online class you are going to be paying for.

In my experience AOW Nav was follow the compass out and back, then in a square pattern, then we did a little natural navigation and we were done. Major objective was to be able to find the boat/exit point.

Im going to leap to the conclusion that you are in the process of a PADI certification and start bashing you now. (Just Kidding) Im not clear on what your goals in diving are at this point.

If I remember correctly Padi AOW navigation dive is Dive 1 from the Navigation specialty not the whole specialty certification I would discus with your instructor about what he hopes for you to get out of this online class you are going to be paying for.

In my experience AOW Nav was follow the compass out and back, then in a square pattern, then we did a little natural navigation and we were done. Major objective was to be able to find the boat/exit point.
It was actually SDI. I think they realize that the subject is less than challenging because they made the questions confusing by the wording so you would miss some. I am interested in recovery and rescue at some point. I am in the process of joining our local volunteer rescue team. I look forward to the drills but I paid my instructor for that portion. I just feel that SDI charged too much for their portion.

Navigation is not a "required" SDI course and more than likely did you zero good. (Based off of your previous experience) Just because your instructor would like you to take the course does not make it mandatory. The instructor might "want" you to take Underwater Basket Weaving because the instructor has a love for it but that does not mean you need to take it. SDI did not cheat you with the cost of the course anymore than the instructor cheated you by selling you something you did not need or want.

PS - You can go all the way to Master Diver in SDI without navigation.

Since you have your OW cert, you really don't need any more courses unless they fit in with yours goals and objectives'

Navigation is not a "required" SDI course and more than likely did you zero good. (Based off of your previous experience) Just because your instructor would like you to take the course does not make it mandatory. The instructor might "want" you to take Underwater Basket Weaving because the instructor has a love for it but that does not mean you need to take it. SDI did not cheat you with the cost of the course anymore than the instructor cheated you by selling you something you did not need or want.

PS - You can go all the way to Master Diver in SDI without navigation.
I'm surprised at this post. Navigation is probably the most useful skill other than buoyancy.....buoyancy keeps you comfortable in the vertical dimension, navigation keeps you comfortable in the horitzontal dimensions. Yes, of course, one might already be proficient in underwater navigation, but that is unlikely; how to deal with currents (for example) is not a land-based skill. The single nav dive for AOW is OK but is really just an introduction. The full nav class (3 dives for PADI) has useful material, even if you are a land-nav guru. SDI only requires 2 dives, and does not explicitly cover techniques in currents, although an individual instructor might optionally. Yes, you can go to MSD in SDI without knowing anything about navigation. Does anyone think this is a good idea?

Back
Top Bottom