Best bug spray / mosquito repellant for Bonaire??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As usual I got my first mosquito bite on this trip as soon as I exited the plane on Bonaire yesterday.

Glad to hear that Repel is well rated, as that, w/ 40% DEET is what I brought. It works.

We were there may 14-21. They have had a very dry few months. The only mosquito bite we got was one bite my wife got at the airport on our way out of town. I didnt use the spray I brought at all.

Never had a problem with bites. There's been constant wind whenever I've been there.

Over the past few years, Bonaire residents and dive locations have been taking strides to reduce the mosquito problems. They have been draining rinse tanks at night and reducing the standing water that breeds mosquitoes.

But, as a precaution, I buy 100% deet at the local Wally World. I only use it at night after my last dive, and only if we are making a trip out, like a restaurant or night club. They usually attack my wife and not me... It must be because she is so sweet (hence her nickname: Lucifer)

We usually use the stuff with picardin, but brought the real deet stuff this time. Lots of wind last week so it helped keep the buggers away. The Plaza also fogged the hallways one night. A quick spray on the way out in the evening did the trick. Not a single bite for either of us all week!

We were there last week (May 21-28). Didn't see too many mosquitos, but all were bitten by something. Usually at dinner, if we forgot to apply repellent. Many restaurants keep cans of Off available.

I didn't stay at Buddy Dive, but I found the best way to control skeeters where I was was to make sure the cleaning staff closed the door to my room when they cleaned. Otherwise I was fighting them off for hours.

Haven't been to Bonaire but particularly in the Caribbean where are mosquitoes sand flies voracious I find that the DEET will help with the mosquitoes but you need to drown the sand flies. I cover both bases by spraying myself well over my upper half and putting so much on my ankles and lower calves that they'll drown and DEET.

For those who don't object to DEET, Repel100 is essentially pure DEET - no other solvents, perfumes, etc. About $8 on Amazon for a 4oz pump spray. Consumer Reports say their studies show 100% DEET works 12 hours versus shorter times for lower concentrations. But I still got bitten in Bonaire last week...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom