Cressi Giotto/leonardo communications wih your own IRDA interface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EskilJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I just bought a used Giotto at a good price, due to it's capability in gas switching.
Seems like a nice computer with a easier user interface (and actually more light) than my Suunto Viper.

Then there is the problem with the PC interface, costing the same as I paid for the computer.
Did anyone try with a standard IRDA interace (now that win10 suports IRDA again)?
Do they require a special brand of USB to IRDA chip, and does it have to be name tagged?

Any experience with that, or did you see someone describing that kind of DIY anywhere on the net?

Best regards, Eskil

I had a couple of issues with my Giotto syncing when on Win 8.1 with it not recognising the USB driver but, having only upgraded to Win 10 last week, not had an issue since.

I have noted though that it does seem to be quite sensitive with regards to position on the cradle. If I place the comp at an angle to the cradle it is intermittent at best but if placed straight on, it seems to be recognised ok.

BTW I was the same with the button layout - it is quite intuitive and only takes a few minutes to get used to it.

Hi, I just bought a used Giotto at a good price, due to it's capability in gas switching.
Seems like a nice computer with a easier user interface (and actually more light) than my Suunto Viper.

Then there is the problem with the PC interface, costing the same as I paid for the computer.
Did anyone try with a standard IRDA interace (now that win10 suports IRDA again)?
Do they require a special brand of USB to IRDA chip, and does it have to be name tagged?

Any experience with that, or did you see someone describing that kind of DIY anywhere on the net?

Best regards, Eskil
nope
this a proprietary infrared to serial to usb with labview (or something like) drivers

Best regards, Eskil

If you want to download the Giotto, I would save yourself some grief and just pay the big bucks for the cable. Cressi uses a standard FTDI serial chip with their own USB product ID. But they must have some "extra" stuff in the Cressi kernel drivers to have it talk to the "on cable" IrDA chip. It would be very difficult to interpose between them and reverse engineer the IrDA communication. You would need some kind of "IrDA sniffer" to figure out what bits were being exchanged between the cable and the Giotto while it's in the cradle. I can't imagine what incentive would be required for someone to do that :) (having done something similar myself)

Cressi uses a standard FTDI serial chip with their own USB product ID. But they must have some "extra" stuff in the Cressi kernel drivers to have it talk to the "on cable" IrDA chip.
can you explain, if Cressi is using a standard FTDI serial chip, we can find National Instruments drivers in "Leonardo-Giotto Cressi_1_2_2.installer.zip" package ?

once more :
IRDA is a "standard" about infrared communication
Cressi and Mares use infrared, but are not IRDA

can you explain, if Cressi is using a standard FTDI serial chip, we can find National Instruments drivers in "Leonardo-Giotto Cressi_1_2_2.installer.zip" package ?

Nope. Since this is a zip file, this must be for the PC/Windows support though. I'm a Mac person so can't really do anything with this installer file. So I can't confirm that there is a National Instruments driver in there or not, but as a complete WAG, I might say that they have the same installer for the drivers for all the models listed on their download page here (PC interfaces). So it wouldn't be used for the Leonardo group but would be used for some of the other groups.

Their Mac installers are "dmg" files and there is most definitely an FTDI driver pkg in there and it is definitely the one that is used to talk to the Leonardo.

Janice

Back
Top Bottom