Learn to dive, Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Southy123

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm wanting to learn to scuba dive and would appreciate some advice :). I'm currently near Subic Bay but would like explore some where else to learn to dive. I would really appreciate any advice/suggestions on places to learn that are legit/safe. Ideally not to difficult to get to, but happy to fly some where if it's worth it!
Many thanks in advance!

If you in the Manila vicinity, just 3 hours away is Anilao. Coral reefs, walls, macro photog sites, etc. I know a very good and experienced PADI instructor there who worked and trained in the US and Asia. He teaches beyond standards and is known as a buoyancy guru. His open water students are often mistaken as divemaster bexause of their buoyancy and trim. PM me and I'll refer you to him.

That would be great! Sorry I've only just signed up to this website and I'm unsure on how to pm, but I'd really appreciate the info! Do you think I would need to book in advance? As I would like to do it in a couple of weeks :). Thanks :)

If you in the Manila vicinity, just 3 hours away is Anilao. Coral reefs, walls, macro photog sites, etc. I know a very good and experienced PADI instructor there who worked and trained in the US and Asia. He teaches beyond standards and is known as a buoyancy guru. His open water students are often mistaken as divemaster bexause of their buoyancy and trim. PM me and I'll refer you to him.

That would be great! Sorry I've only just signed up to this website and I'm unsure on how to pm, but I'd really appreciate the info! Do you think I would need to book in advance? As I would like to do it in a couple of weeks :). Thanks :)

Check your inbox or alerts.

The dive location really doesn't matter for the OW certification. Something local would make much more sense. I am not a fan of one weekend OW courses. It is good to do it over several days or weekends so that you have time to "digest" what you have learned. If you get certified locally, you have all the time in the world and you will not be pressured to learn everything over a weekend/few days. Believe me, on your first few dives your primary concern would have to do with "housekeeping" stuff - buoyancy, trim, not shooting up to the surface, not hitting the bottom and not losing sight of your buddies' fins :), so the site won't really matter. Also, most of the skills are first practiced in a pool. For scuba instruction in general, the most important factor is the instructor and not the resort/agency/shop. Ask around first before committing to a dive instructor. If you see serious wreck diving in the future (since you are in Subic), I would recommend an instructor who is also a tech instructor (or at least "technically" oriented). Most agencies now do the theoretical bits online, so once you sign up you can (and have to) learn them before the actual instruction. If you have some background in science/physics you can peruse the basic chapters of the NOAAA diving manual which has copies floating around the internet.

All these I learned through experience. I did not know of this forum's existence then. If I did, it would have saved me a good bit of expense and frustration. Please feel free to PM me (click on the avatar the click "start a conversation").

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom