Missed deco, helicopter ride - New Jersey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Coast Guard rescues diver off coast of Cape May
CAPE MAY, N.J. (AP) - The U.S. Coast Guard has rescued a diver in need of medical attention off the coast of Cape May.

Officials received notification Saturday afternoon that a 70-year-old man had been involved in a dive incident after he missed decompression.

The Coast Guard sent a helicopter crew to assist. They hoisted the man from a boat about 40 miles east of Cape May. He was then taken to a hospital for further treatment. His name and condition were not immediately available.

Fine? Do you mean the helio was a "just in case" precaution?

From what I heard they exaggerated his symptoms in order to get the helicopter to come.

He was hit and did a Schedule 6, but it wasn't as severe as initially reported/believed.

good news and hope this is just a close call for a seventy year old......need to make those stops.

Question - is there a chamber down the shore or did he have to go to Philly/U of P?

He went to U of Penn, the symptoms were reported by the USCG swimmer, there was no exaggeration.

He went to U of Penn, the symptoms were reported by the USCG swimmer, there was no exaggeration.

Then how does he become "just fine"?

good too hear he's ok

I know Bill very well myself, I spoke to him on his way to the chamber on Saturday. He was told it was a commercial diver. I also saw Bill on Sunday and that is how I knew all was well. I also am close to the skipper of the boat, the divers and the victim. There may be a little misunderstanding, but there was not an exaggeration. The victim was 70 after all and he was symptomatic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom