Drysuit inflator valve is firm...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoyoguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All,
my drysuit inflator valve button is firm to push. Not too bad but from what I have read can be remedied by use of silicone spray (sprayed into the the metal quick connect), however, after further reading it is thought that silicone sprays are really bad for drysuit materials. What are your suggestions? What spray should I use? Thanks.

Last edited:
unscrew the valve and soak it. might have salt residue, or silt. I've soaked in a white vinegar or salt-x solution before.

unscrew the valve and soak it. might have salt residue, or silt. I've soaked in a white vinegar or salt-x solution before.
thanks. Never removed an inflator valve from a drysuit (Bare Trilam). Is it as simple as twisting it off? If I use white vinegar do I use pure or diluted? Do I rinse in water after? About how long to soak and can the vinegar eat anything inside the valve? Thanks and sorry to bombard you with questions.

removal of a inhalator is fairly painless you unscrew the retaining nut on the inside and out it comes but before i did that I would fill my bath tub up with the hottest tap water my faucet provides and soak the suit overnight making sure the valve is submerged. I would manipulate the valve several times during the soak and then rinse it with running hot water. let the suit dry and then test for function

should have a manual online if it's apeks or sitech, they usually unscrew and are hand tight. Soak it, potentially disassemble for service, but you should be soaking it pretty regularly if using it in salt water. It's the same type of mechanism as your bc inflator so the o-rings probably need lubing as well

should have a manual online if it's apeks or sitech, they usually unscrew and are hand tight. Soak it, potentially disassemble for service, but you should be soaking it pretty regularly if using it in salt water. It's the same type of mechanism as your bc inflator so the o-rings probably need lubing as well
Suit has never seen salt water. What lube do you use on the orings? should I take apart the valve to lube or is there an easier way?

an easy way to lube it with out dis assembly is put a dab of silicon grease on the end of the inflator nub and then connect a air source and use the inflator./ the air going through the valve carries the grease . It is not the fix for every time but if it is just dragging a bit hot water soak and a dab of grease will probably get you going again.

then it's probably just dry. You can use whatever lube you use for your regulators, I use silicone, but O2 lube will work fine, just won't last as long. I'd take it fully apart to lube, it's not that hard and worth while

If sitech there is a sitech tool you can get. They are correctly sized plastic circles with notches to match the valves, you need two of them. You can usually do it by hand but it's easier with the tool.

Back
Top Bottom