Best bang for the buck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

***Reality Check ***
My recommendation, a Scubapro MK2/R195, is a quality regulator with a proven track record backed by a world-wide company that has been in business for over 50 years. MSRP is $363 before any discounts. Yes, it is a better Bang for the Buck!

what reality check? you are completely mad if you think that's a better bang for the buck. For a full regulator set you are at minimum of $615, this is assuming a BCD inflator hose is included with a bcd purchase. I quoted a full doubles regulator set with MUCH better regulators for less than $100 more. Sorry chief, you're head is stuck so far up into Scubapro that you don't know which way is up anymore.

...you're head is stuck so far up into Scubapro that you don't know which way is up anymore.
I have encountered this, even amongst dealers I know well. It appears to be that ScubaPro has managed to structured their dealer network/financing so that shops pretty much have to be "all in". This is just NOT in the best interest of the customer. Sure its a ~50yr old brand (so was Dacor). That's just not worth the premium pricing for me. I like flexibility and not being strapped down to one shop who is the 'approved' provider of service.

The market is changing! Learn to adapt or deal with the consequences.

Ok, I will not get in the rant fest... But used regulators is the way to go.

A)
You don't like it... change it. It's kinda hard to do with a Rego you bought full price.

B)
If you take your time you can find nice used gear for cheap.
Usually, used gear should be 50% of current value or less.

* Side note: I see too many people who got ripped off by their dive center and try to resell years later at 90% of the price.

I've found some kit (like my BCD, Halcyon Eclipse 30#) for a steal.

C)
All the warranties in the world will not make up the cost of the price you pay used.
I bought a reg kit at 250$, new it was around 1000$...
I can pay the parts and the service for 20+ years before breaking even on the new (free parts).
(I'll probably change it by then)

D) If you dive tropical you don't need anything special.

- I started diving with Sherwood's (these are workhorse regos, they never break)
- Bought Apeks (got into a fight with Apeks dealer - did not want to Honor Apeks recall)
- Bought Scubapros
- Bought HOG

The difference? Not much.
PS. Check Mares ( doesnt sell well used but I really like the Proton Metal (dove it) )
* doesnt sell well = you can buy cheaper

My 2 cents

I suggest Dive Rite XT or HOG (if you're into fixing your own stuff or have a shop that can.)

Speaking of new regs - my Poseidon Cyklon 300 2nds are in the mail on their way to me!!!! so much excite. I can hardly contain myself.

Nice! I want to try Poseidons.
I hope you have the 1st stage that goes with them... upstream and all that.

I suggest Dive Rite XT or HOG (if you're into fixing your own stuff or have a shop that can.)

Speaking of new regs - my Poseidon Cyklon 300 2nds are in the mail on their way to me!!!! so much excite. I can hardly contain myself.

FWIW, I have several Jetstreams, and find them easy to understand and work on. I have recently started playing around with the Cyklon 2nd stages. They seem pretty simple, but I have found the adjustment to be kind of odd. You really just set the lever by a measurement, and then adjust the IP to tune it. I still don't understand exactly what the little plastic barrel (venturi) apparatus does.

Yea, beware of lots of misinformation out there on poseidons. The main thing to know is that the Jetsream 2nd stages have the upstream valve (with a downstream servo assist). Why does this matter? Because a failing 1st stage will allow IP to creep up and could lock out gas supply. That's why the older jetsreams have the OPV valve integrated into the hose, and the newer (post '91) 1st stages have an OPV in the 1st stage. This does not apply to the Cyklons, and I don't know anything about the Xstreams or Tritons.

*Back to thread topic: If this is all Greek to you, I suggest you stay away from rebuilding used regs (especially Poseidon) unless you are prepared to do your homework and are really like this kind of stuff.

Two problems with that statement

One. cyklons are not upstream regs, they are normal downstream design. They do however require a fairly substantial bump in IP compared to normal second stages at around 165psi. Many first stages have big enough springs to get up there.
Two. for the upstream regs that Poseidon makes, Jetstream/Xstream, the only unique thing about their first stages is the requirement of a lower IP at 125, which is easy on any first stages, and they incorporate an OPV. The OPV can be added to any first stage, can be factored in by using Omni-Swivels with the hose adapters, or by using Poseidon branded hoses for them. Nothing special about the first stages at all because they're upstream, just that an OPV is required somewhere in the system to prevent a burst hose in the event of an IP creep.

I was just saying I'd like to try the Poseidon and I heard that they were manufactured differently.
...I'm not a regulator expert.

But thanks for the info.

I think that's a key point here. We're not planning on doing anything technical. I want something that I can use pretty much anywhere. We are also less than perfect divers haha, so we need something basic we can grow with... maybe there will come a time when we want to get more advanced but right now, all we need is a safe, reliable, basic set up.

I would avoid a DIN system, stay with yoke for the type of diving, and the locales you mentioned that you prefer. Also I recommend the following brands and models for 1) reliability, 2) ease of having service performed 3) universal availability:

A. Aqualung Core

B. Mares Abyss 22X

C. ScubaPro Mk11/R195

As for an octopus, I would recommend another second stage of the same make and model that you decide to purchase. I allows for more economical rebuilds, and you can more easily judge the set up if you have two identical second stages to compare. I would also go with an analog gauge console (SPG / Depth / Computer or Compass). Make sure that you can easily read the gauges as some manufacturers (are you listening MARES?) make the dials too damned small to read.

Back
Top Bottom