Anyone doing video on an OMD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have been thinking that I might have a go at video on my next trip to Bali in Aug/Sept. I have been doing mainly macro for the last 5 years and enjoyed that but I'm getting interested in a new challenge.

On my last dive trip I seemed to loose focus (Ha!) on my photography and it was more like happy snaps than good photography.

I am not sure I want to spend hours editing video, what have your experiences been like?

Sorry mate, I don't use either of them. I am Samsung S4 android on $15 a month and often don't use that much!!!!

Any other ideas I am reasonably computer savvy as I worked in IT for 25 years.

So, can we assume you're using a windows machine? I don't know current version, but windows movie maker will suffice for putting together simple videos.
I personally now use an ipad for pretty much everything, stills and video. I love the travel profile and I usually don't go for the higher end capabilities anyway. You'd be surprised what you can do on them.

I have done some very simple videos with an epl2 and epl7. If you don't want massive amounts of footage to edit, don't take massive videos. A good rule of thumb is 30 seconds. Try to keep them in that range. Be brutal in editing and just immediately delete a video that doesn't interest you.
Also start your video a few seconds before if you can and run it about 5 seconds past what you think is interesting.
May sound obvious, but don't move around too fast. Keep steady and have slow movements, if any at all. It can be very effective to have things move in and out of frame on their own.

I found continuous autofocus annoying. Camera would hunt focus in the middle of a video often at an inopportune time. Set to single focus, half press before recording and then record. You can always half press during recording to refocus and just treat as 2 separate videos.

Last edited:
I have only used the video option on my PEN sparingly, as I have redifined the Videorec button.....but, I used to have a Gopro mounted on the rig if something nice appeared :)
I flooded it, and have replaced it with a cheap Elephone Explorer Pro GoPro clone. It took a lot of time to edit the videos on the Gopro, but the clone have a straight MP4 format which seems to take a lot lesser time editing... Did not want to invest more, as I have changed from PEN to OMD. Will take some time before I get to test it underwater though...to much work in the summer.

Wisnu very encouraging. Chris196 thanks for the hints mate very useful. If anything turns out to be watchable I will post it but I don't have great hopes. I have been stuck in the lounge, on liveaboards watching some dreadful video taken that day and would not let that loose on my worst enemy!

As an aside we went to watch a guys trip to Cape York in Australia and he'd attached the camera to his car dash and just ran the camera, I lasted about an hour and the video had travelled about 100ks up the Cape with several hundred to go and bailed out, it went on to 3am. Some people have more front than Anthony Horderns (a large store in Sydney now pulled down).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom