Pelican case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I just got a pelican 1615 air case and wanted to se how everyone checked their bag? How do you lock it and get it through security? I have insurance on it but would not like to lose anything on a dive trip. Thanks in advance.

the case has padlock rings in the corners. I would take it to a tsa precheck and have them check the bag and then just put a couple of locks in the corners.

There's really no safe way to check bags except perhaps to "gate check" them, at the boarding gate. You can do that with some airlines and some items, i.e. they do this for baby strollers and excess carry-on bags.

You can secure a Pelican case with padlocks, but unless you use "TSA Safe" padlocks, the TSA cuts these off. And the "TSA Safe" key sets are available cheap and easy to anyone. The TSA also fires about 500 agents for pilfering baggage every year. So personally? I'll use colored zip-ties, knowing the TSA can easily cut them off, but I can easily tell if there's been tampering. And replacement zip-ties tucked down inside the bag. And, sadly, buy baggage insurance if you don't have enough with your "contract of passage" or credit card purchase.

Checked bags? Roll the dice in Vegas. Some of the airlines, like Delta, actually tell whoppers of lies about when and how the bags themselves will travel. DO put your contact information inside the bag, so if you get separated, they can't say "We didn't know whose bag it was."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom