Packing, Travel and Diving Tips for the SB Invasion to the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a new question: When I went to Zambia last year, I had to have a prescription for OTC Benadryl. It was considered to be a controlled substance. Is there any US OTC medication that is considered to be a controlled substance in the Philippines?

Here is the Best Answer I could find.....
Bringing Medicine into the Philippines

So I assume the answer is it should be Ok.

Here is the Best Answer I could find.....
Bringing Medicine into the Philippines

So I assume the answer is it should be Ok.

Thank you.

I went up to that website and played around a bit and found the following information:

The following common items are classified as prohibited items and are not allowed to be brought into the Philippines:
  • Onions, potatoes, garlic and cabbages
  • Coffee
  • Used clothing and rags
  • Toy guns
WEIRD list of items. But I now have a great excuse to go out and buy all new clothing for the trip.

Is it still the case that we will need to have on hand $550 pesos for airport exit? Also, if this is the case, can we have US cash on hand or does it HAVE to be pesos?

I have read on TripAdvisor that they don't require this payment at the airport anymore but I read earlier in these threads that we do need to have it on hand.

Would appreciate clarification so that I don't convert money into pesos if not required.

Last edited:
Is it still the case that we will need to have on hand $550 pesos for airport exit? Also, if this is the case, can we have US cash on hand or does it HAVE to be pesos?

I have read on TripAdvisor that they don't require this payment at the airport anymore but I read earlier in these threads that we do need to have it on hand.

Would appreciate clarification so that I don't convert money into pesos if not required.

$550 pesos = $30 USD or $38CDN approx

The van ride from Manila to Batangas where you take the boat to Puerto Galera is about 3 hours. The van or bus will stop at a service plaza that has a Mc Donald’s, a convenience store, a Starbucks and restrooms. Starbucks took Visa or M/C . McD and convenience store took Philippine pesos only. It would be a good idea to usually exchange about $20 USD into PHP at the Midas in case you need it. There is no need for PHP other than this stop at this time. Leftovers can be used to pay the departure tax leaving the country, about $18 USD.

If the airport tax is not needed they'll let us know when we get there. They can exchange currency at Atlantis.

Last edited:
The hotel in Manila in wich most of us will stay from Friday to Saturday.

Can we exchange at the airport? We are landing at 4am and Saturday and will not be going to the hotel.

"Terminal #1 at the airport…. Departing@ 4-6 AMdepending on the arrival time of flight PR103

The arrival time can vary due to a number of factors.

If you choose this option you must be there at 4AM.

Members must be at 1 of these locations ON TIME to transfer with the pre arranged transportation from Atlantis."

Can we exchange at the airport? We are landing at 4am and Saturday and will not be going to the hotel.

Hopefully you can, but they may be closed at that time of morning. You should also be able to exchange currency in the previous airport.
Remember you really don't need pesos unless you would like to purchase something at the convenience store or McDonald's during the stop.

-The van ride from Manila to Batangas where you take the boat to Puerto Galera is about 3 hours. The van or bus will stop at a service plaza that has a Mc Donald’s, a convenience store, a Starbucks and restrooms. Starbucks took Visa or M/C . McD and convenience store took Philippine pesos only. It would be a good idea to usually exchange about $20 USD into PHP at the Midas in case you need it. There is no need for PHP other than this stop at this time. Leftovers can be used to pay the departure tax leaving the country, about $18 USD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom