PADI logged dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Dive Ranger, I think you probably already got all the answers you needed, but I would like to add some clarifications.

PADI Rescue Diver Course: HAS NO PREREQUISITE NUMBER OF DIVES. You must be at least 12 years of age, have completed your Adventure Diver certification, one of those dives to have included the Underwater Navigation Dive. You need to have your EFR Primary and Secondary Care training current (within past 24 months--may be done in conjunction with Rescue Diver class).

PADI MASTER DIVER Cerfitifcation: 12 Years Old (Junior Cert) min. OW Cert., AOW Cert., Rescue Diver Certification, 5 Specialty Certifications (PADI) and 50 Logged Dives. (yes, all the dives you mentioned count).

DIVE MASTER CERTIFICATION: 18 years old. 20 Logged dives to start program, 60 Logged dives (to include experience in night diving, deep diving and underwater navigation) before certification can be completed. OW, AOW, Rescue, and current EFR Primary & Secondary Care Certification, current medical eval. (within 12 months) by a doctor.

As another post mentions, the idea behind prerequisite numbers is safety and knowledge development. When I began diving my instructors and more experienced dive friends kept an eye on me and encouraged me to add a variety of dive experiences in between my courses. They also pushed me to begin more difficult skills and new certifications as they felt I showed evidence of being ready. I would not have been ready to begin my Dive Master training with a mere 20 dives--my learning curve was a wee bit slower than that (LOL). By moving along slowing, gaining experiences, and logging dives that expand your skills you will develop into the kind of Professional Diver that you would want leading you, or more importantly your son, on a dive.

Training Dives should follow the 15 ft/ 1500 PSI/ 20 minute minimum. Other dives--use common sense and integrity. Usually the only time we log a dive that is shorter than 20 minutes as a dive is if the dive was planned to accomplish a specific purpose--such as setting the ball at the 90' training platform or something. That dive might not be 20 minutes, but I would still log it as a dive.

By the way, KUDOS on joining your son on his OW water training dives. It is really wonderful when parents come to do that with their kids. I hope the two of you have many, many wonderful dives together. If you're ever in our area ( North-Western PA), come dive with us, and I will glad to sign your log book.
Happy Bubbles,
Beth

Sorry to bump an old thread. I just wondered what the general consensus was on my issue (which google brought me here)

I've been doing solo beach dives the last month or so every weekend as part of the AWARE: Dive Against Debris effort. All of those days are logged on the DAD website ( and now have officially adopted that site)

My instructor told me I could put those in my logbook as dives even though there was no buddy or instructor/stamp. Am I wrong for doing so? Note: I am finishing up rescue and needing dives to begin the next level. That's not why I am doing this, but I was told I could count them in the logbook...so I am.

I ask because the dives are usually no more than 2-3 meters. Of course I am using a scuba unit, but the vast majority has been spent 2 meters below surface cutting free MASSIVE ( and I do mean MASSIVE) entanglements of fishing nets/rope/cloth entangled around an underwater pipe. Not exactly "depth"

My take would be no reason not to - you are diving for a reason, albeit not at any great depth but doing so for an extended period.

You are probably getting more experience doing those 3m dives than someone "teabagging" dives ie dunk in the water for 15mins, short SI, rinse and repeat (which some people will do to get their dive numbers up in order to hit a specific number such as the requirement for DM).

You can count the dives. The minimum depth rule is only for the dives conducted during a class.

Log them, let whoever wants to count them worry about whether it meets their standard. Most training does not have dive count prerequisites.

The whole concept of logging dives comes to us from the Navy, who logs everything, to keep track of exposure and detail events and work while diving. The results were / are used to help analyse accidents, adjust the dive tables, and write procedures for working underwater.

You can use your log similarly to track weight requirements for different configurations, note gear changes you might want to try, any incident or detail you might want want to know years from now. It is your log, so use it to your advantage, with a buddy or not.

One last thought, if you are a diver and love the sport, it will dawn on you quickly that 60 or 100 dives are nothing. Experience is your friend, so go out and dive, the classes will still be there when you want them.

Bob

Most training does not have dive count prerequisites.
More importantly, the dive counts that are required for training levels are really just screening tools that don't really matter in the long run. What matters is your ability to do the required skills for the course. Some people demonstrate better diving skills on their first post certification dives than others who have 30-40 logged dives.

I'm in the camp of log everything that's meaningful to you. And when you wan to take advanced training with a minimum number of dives requirement, let the instructor figure out if it's good enough for him or her. I actually never had to show my log books even for signing up for advanced training. And personally I think that the minimum numbers are low, at least for my personal level of comfort. But your and your instructor's mileage may vary.

I know that the revised PADI DM course as of about 2010 has a component of Deep and Search & Rescue dives. I was unaware that Night and Nav (beyond the one Nav dive required for AOW) dives were required. Is this true--is it new since 2010?

I have logged 136 dives and I don't see myself ready to be a divemaster. Yes I have CMAS 3 Star certificate which is equal to PADI divemaster but this number of dives are too low from my point of view that I'm not leading any dives. In order to be ready to be a divemaster you must have seen lots of incidents, must know what to do in real life panic or problems during dives. When everyone is looking at you and if you don't know what to do, this might have a high chance of tragic ending.

With just 60 dives do you really believe you will be able to catch a panicked diver and stop his/her ascending? Have you ever done that? Do you believe you will fix gear malfunctions? Do you believe you can control a group of 8 newbees for a whole dive?

People are under underestimating the dangers of scuba diving and doesn't have any idea about the responsibilities about the incidents.

Stop thinking of what to log and start concentrating on how to improve your skills. When they are all fine your number of logged dives will be far more than enough even if you logged half of them.

Last edited:
Just use some integrity and only log real dives. "Teabagging" is a derogatory term for people who go in and out of the water for a minimum depth and time in order to accumulate a large number of dives. Please don't do that. Please try to accumulate real experience in real dive sites so that the number means something.
The shortest dive I've logged was 5 minutes. Why did I log it? It was my first search & recovery dive, and although we found the item we were looking for very quickly, there was quite a bit of planning involved, including deciding the search pattern strategy in poor viz. It was a dive that I learned quite a bit from, so I decided that it was worth logging.

I didn't log any of my dives during my Rescue Diver class, not even the "search for diver at the bottom" exercise, since that basically was a simplified repetition of the previously logged search & recovery dive and didn't provide any significant new learning experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom