Gulf Shores 6/10-6/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BamaDiver23

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to be in Gulf Shores, AL next Friday and Saturday. We plan on diving the LuLu that Saturday (weather permitting), but we were wanting to dive to Jetties' or somewhere else around the area that Friday. This will be our first time, any suggestions or tips?

I know that there a lot of threads on here about diving the jetties at Perdido Pass. Other than diving with the high tide and using a dive flag are there any other need to knows about the area? Thank you.

The previous threads probably cover all there is to say. The biggest problem I have with the jetties there is the access. I dived there occasionally when you could park in a small vacant lot near the condos but now you have to park pretty far away. It's not worth it to me when the viz is often poor and currents tricky.

Better to drive 40 minutes or so and go to Fort Pickens jetties. Entry fee is $15/car/week. You usually can park within 100 feet of entry, you have very short distance to walk across sand, you have adjacent showers and restrooms, and the dive is generally better. Another option is Portofino snorkel reef. It's shallow but wave dependent not tide dependent. You have adjacent parking and reasonably close restroom. The Navarre snorkel reef, another 30 minutes east, offers the same dive with even better facilities.

Fort Pickens seems like a cool place with lots to see. I wonder if the tropical storm dropped enough rain in the area to cause poor viz? Do you dive with high tide or the current? Is there a dive map of the site? Thanks

You pretty much have to dive pickens during High Tide or else your viz will be next to nothing. If you are going sometime soon let me know I'd love to tag along.

We actually dove Pickens last Friday. The vis was pretty low even at high tide. It actually seemed to improve after high tide, but the current got a little strong. We were still able to see a lot of fish around the rocks, along with a couple of rays. We dove the LuLu on Saturday with Cpt. Gary, and could not have asked for better day to dive. Vis was about 35-45 foot with calm seas. The highlight was a 300lb Goliath grouper who seems to have taken up residence around the wheelhouse.

Glad to here the lulu is awesome I'm hoping to take a trip out there sometime myself. But yea that's pretty typical for Pickens if you can get 15 feet of vix it's a good day.

There's also a snorkel reef on Perdido Key (last public beach access before Johnson Beach).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom