My friend was talking about solo cave diving. Is this a really bad move?

Is solo cave diving a really bad idea?

• Yes

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Probably, at least most of the time

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Khalil,

I recommend that you post some more about the discussion.

With such a short introduction and poll about a very controversial topic, it seems like you are just trolling. Scubaboard is a great place for discussion, but two sentences is not much of a discussion. How about you share some more about the conversation, and your specific concerns?

I don't think the OP's question is so completely unreasonable that it deserves name calling, and I would argue that name calling is never the right reaction under any circumstances. I would further argue that if someone is so emotional that a couple of questions throw them off balance, then perhaps technical diving is not the optimal choice of an outdoors activity. It's not a sport for angry people.

If a large portion of the community can accept that the added risks of solo diving could to some extent be mitigated by having redundant gas and other equipment, enough experience, by planning, steering clear of entanglements, etc., one may naturally wonder why the very same argument cannot be applied to a trained and experienced cave diver. I'm not a cave diver, and to me at least, the answer is not patently obvious.

There are some specialized situations where it might make sense, but in the average "tourist" cave, definitely not.

My friend was talking about solo cave diving. Is this a really bad move?
Talking about it? Perhaps... doing it? Usually.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom