Unsynched strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amentatony

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a Canon S100 camera in a Fisheye Fix housing with 2 YS01 Sea and Sea Strobes. The strobes are connected by fiber optic cable. When I shoot, the strobes fire but the image is not illuminated. I've tried different settings but to no avail. Any suggestions?

I don't know your camera, housing or strobes but I suspect that the strobes are being set off by the pre-flash on your camera's flash. By the time the actual flash has fired and the shutter has opened, the strobes have already fired. You will need to review your strobe manual and determine how to synch the camera flash to the strobes. A quick look at the camera manual suggests that this camera always fires with a pre-flash in TTL. A look at page E-10 of the strobe manual suggests you may have the mode switch set to the position with one bright lightening bolt. This is the wrong mode as it will fire the strobe on the pre-flash from the camera's flash. Try the position with one bright lightening bolt and a dark lightening bolt or, probably better yet, the TTL position which should allow TTL synch between the camera and flash. Make sure that the camera flash is in the always on position (see page 81 of the camera manual). Try shooting into a mirror as this is the easiest way to see if the camera and flash are synched. If the flash is not illuminated in the picture, then they are out of synch. I hope that helps.

I'll give it a try...thank you!

You either need to set the strobes for pre-flash or go into the menu and set the camera flash to no pre-flash which is optional in Av and Tv modes. Program mode will always pre-flash and btw Manual will never pre-flash.

N

Again not sure about your camera, but check the max sync speed. I know with my Nikon it is 250.

This chart is correct for the S100. I have not familiarized myself with the very latest S/G series Canons but I expect that the chart still applies and to most other similar subcompact "pro" type compact cameras.

InonChart.png

The Inon Z strobes use a rotary switch for pre-flash/no pre-flash selection instead of the magnet actuated internal switch. Other than that and the wired sync capability (not applicable to this question) the Z240 function is the same as the D2000.

And, just to be clear, once upon time someone was complaining that I did not credit the author of the chart, that would be because I am the author of the chart. The information comes from the G/S series manuals and the D2000/S2000 and Z240 operation manuals and my knowledge of how things work.

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom