One big single video light - vs - Two regular ones

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Santsupa

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone help me choosing between these two options?

Option1) 1 x Fisheye Aquavolt 7000 lumens 110 beam angle
Option2) 2 x Sola 2000 Flood light 60 beam angle.

I am using GoPro Hero4 and mostly shoot wide angle video.
P.S. My local store puts the Aquavolt on discount making it as cheap as 2 x Sola2000.

I have dual SOLA 2100s...pretty similar to the 2000 (the 2100 has a 60 degree flood beam)...although the 2100 also has a 12 degree spot beam. I guess I would say that although I don't know anything about your option 1 light above, having started with a single light system....2 is better than 1 as long as you are using quality lights.....and those SOLAs are quality lights. I do a mix of wide angle and macro and have been pretty pleased with my dual SOLA set up (I bought it last September and have used them for about 60 dives...locally here in New England, plus trips to Belize and Indonesia).

Snake%20River%201-XL.jpg

Taken with this set-up recently here in New England (pic extracted from video footage):
Lobster%20macro%20image%20v3-L.jpg

Last edited:
You should take a look at the BigBlue video lights. You get a lot of light for your money and they are very well made. I have several and love them.

I have dual SOLA 2100s...pretty similar to the 2000 (the 2100 has a 60 degree flood beam)...although the 2100 also has a 12 degree spot beam. I guess I would say that although I don't know anything about your option 1 light above, having started with a single light system....2 is better than 1 as long as you are using quality lights.....and those SOLAs are quality lights. I do a mix of wide angle and macro and have been pretty pleased with my dual SOLA set up (I bought it last September and have used them for about 60 dives...locally here in New England, plus trips to Belize and Indonesia).

Snake%20River%201-XL.jpg

Taken with this set-up recently here in New England (pic extracted from video footage):
Lobster%20macro%20image%20v3-L.jpg
Nice pictures, I was wondering if you ever thought of leashing those lights. Just in case the lock line arms come apart.
Better safe than sorry.

Frank G

Probably make an internal tether. Just drill or you if you choose to burn or melt a small whole in both the fixed lockline piece which is screwed on to handle of tray and a hole on the lock line socket which is secured to light. Feed right sized lanyard through the the holes and lockline arm tie it off with two knots on both ends so they don't slip off and singe the ends of nylon cord (burn off with a lighter the cut ends. ) Invisible tether!

Frank G

There are other light options that are less well known.
I have been advising my students to look at solas, but also to consider smaller lights with removable and replaceable batteries. The TechdiveGear lights have been very popular:
GoPro Gear
They are 3200 lumens, have 3 settings and a focused light setting for signaling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom