Mask choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Przemek Lekki

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there,

As Im new got stupid/general queestion:) So I got few masks pick with good reviews...but around mine there is no shops to try them on/ dont have them in stock. As mask is best to put on(they come in one size) without doing that I wont know if ill be leaking or not...in online shops can You orded one,try on and if not hold return it? Which shops You reccomend? Or maybe better to buy worse one but in stock in shop? Looking forward for Your opinions...

Options are:
- Atomic frameless 2
- Tusa freedom HD
- Scubapro Spectra
- Scubapro Solo

Przemek, because the fit of the mask is so important to your comfort while diving, it would be highly advised that you try the mask on. How close is your nearest dive store (1 hour, 2 hours)?
If at all possible, take the time to visit the store and try the mask on. Since a quality mask will last for years, it would be well worth a half day trip to get it.
All of the masks you listed are good quality masks. But you need to make sure that it doesn't ride on the bridge of your nose or "cut" into the bottom of your nose.
Best of luck to you on selecting the "perfect " mask!
kaptken1392

Well, two shops around mine but none of tham got even one mask from my selection:( Thats why not sure what to do....I understand buying in online shop, try it and,if wrong, return it is out of question?

Hi and, again, welcome to this fantastic sport.

Are you planning to dive in the UK? Or only abroad?

If in the UK you should ask yourself why the 2 local dive shops don't stock the masks you're interested in, maybe they're not suitable for UK conditions.

Again with BCDs those for UK diving will be bulkier, and heavier for flying, that ones for warm water diving only.

Where in Thailand are you doing you AOW?

Kind regards

Without trying the mask on, I don't think you can say it's a good mask to have on your list. I speak from experience. The mask in my photo was a mask I tried on in my dive shop that fit me well. A few months later, I saw a cool mask I wanted & my family bought it for me. I never tried it on. It doesn't fit quite as well as my 1st mask & even though it's a cooler mask, I don't use it. I use the less expensive standard mask from my local dive shop that fits me perfectly & doesn't leak at all.

Go to your local shops & try on whatever masks they have...even if the shops are far away. You'll have the mask for many years.

Also, if you're going to be diving in cold UK water and warm Thai water, get a BCD that can work in both. I know some people buy two, but I just have one for cold NE US diving & warm worldwide diving & it works really well for both.

I wont know if ill be leaking or not...

Well... if your photo is current, chances are they all will. Unless you shave your upper lip.

The first mask I bought on-line without trying fits me perfectly. It's the one I use. The second one I bough on-line fit perfectly splashing around in a 5m-deep pool and started leaking the moment I put the reg in my mouth. So it's a bit of a crap shoot even if you do try it on and it seems to fit in the store. I recommend a) checking the shops' return policies and b) factoring in the cost of return shipping when you do you price comparisons.

Are you open to trying on some of the masks that your dive shop does have even though it isn't on your list? The most important thing is fit here....You might be pleasantly surprised and they may have something that fits you well.

It might sound dorky and repetitive. Fit is paramount and the sad news...you won't even find it while trying it on at the dive shop.

For simplification: I have a Tusa mask I bought at my LDS.
Fit was perfect, even paid extra for prescription in it.
I spent lots of $ in this.

After 25 dives, I noticed that my mask was:
- Always leaking slowly from the bottom (very slow)
- Alway pushed my nose upwards (big nose)

-------------------------------------------------------
Fast forward:
On vacation in Mexico, went on a discovery dive (for my girlfriend).
Used an old mask thrown in a bucket...

....and I seriously fell in love with it.

and best of all, it was a Cressi Focus (made for rental aka cheapest)

----------------------------------------

I say buy a cheaper option mask online and try it.
You dont like it, keep it as a weekend party accesory.
The price on the High-end mask is useless.

---------------------------

Important: Check which shape & size of skirt works best with your face.
I prefer rounder smaller skirts.

:) Enjoy the long read

i have tried on at least 50 masks, bought at least a dozen, and can tell you, just because it "fits" in the store does not mean it won't leak anyway. Granted, my face and head are hard to fit but I found that most regular masks either press on the bridge of my nose or are not deep enough around my eyes. The mask that fits me best is a copy of the old US Divers rescue mask from the 70's and 80's.

In the US, Leisurepro has an easy return policy and they pay for shipping...but not sure if that applies to overseas. Www.leisurepro.com

What ever you buy, there is no way to know if it will not leak until you dive with it, preferably at depth and not in a pool.

Good luck
Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom