Entry Level Underwater Cameras. Advice welcome :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Land Fish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
CANON G7 X; or
SONY RX100

These two kinda stood out during my online research... Anyone has actual experience with either?

Or any other model/brand you would recommend? No GoPro please.

Not aiming to win any competition, I just want to take photos to show my family, so they'd understand why I love making bubbles underwater :)

Thank you very much! x

I'd take a good look at the Olympus TG-4. We have lots of people new to photography that get great results. Through Sat (6/25) it's $80 off too!
The two you mentioned are good, I'd pick the Sony RX-100IV over the G7X for sure.

I'd take a good look at the Olympus TG-4. We have lots of people new to photography that get great results. Through Sat (6/25) it's $80 off too!
The two you mentioned are good, I'd pick the Sony RX-100IV over the G7X for sure.

I am just curious, what is the upside of the Sony over the G7X?

I love my Canon s110 , now no longer made , but would highly recommend Canon cameras. The detail and the color when you manually white balance a scene underwater are so good. I do a bit of cropping and use the enhance button on my IPad and get a really nice picture with minimal work after the dive.

I am just curious, what is the upside of the Sony over the G7X?

Better features, much better 4K video, faster AF, I think most people would say a much better sensor, and sharper Zeiss lens. Many pros and semi pros use this as a backup...
In a Nauticam housing you have more options for wide angle lenses.

Not aiming to win any competition, I just want to take photos to show my family, so they'd understand why I love making bubbles underwater :)

Thank you very much! x

The rx100 and g7 may be more capable cameras but for the camera and housing you are looking at probably double the price of the TG-4 with housing(if that matters) and should definitely be capable of your goals.

I agree with Jack. TG-4 is a great entry level starter camera.

I claim neither of your 2 proposed choices should be considered entry level. I class them as "prosumer" (except wikipedia seems to have a new definition for that word...getting old sucks). You should be able to get an entry level setup for much less dollars. Do you really want / need an entry level rig?

What type of photography experience / background do you have?
What type of photos do you want to achieve? Happy snaps? Super macro? Wide angle? Do you know yet?

I always suggest that "raw beginners" purchase the least expensive camera that meets their immediate needs and capability. You can then consider your first camera as a disposable cost part of your learning curve.

I have seen way too many
- ads for nearly new prosumer cameras
- divers dragging expensive rigs around that they did not understand and could not operate

If we know more about your background and photo goals, then you may get a lot more relevant input.

I happen to have a canon s100 + fisheye fix housing for sale. A great starter camera capable of nice shots.
Either way, I'd recommend you to buy a flash. It adds so much detail at close range.

Sample image (using a flash and close up lens)
10862432_1120031034730450_4765257186774473083_o.jpg

Thank you all very much for your advices, and I'm sorry I've been a bit slow in responding. I couldn't find the original post then I remembered getting an email notification of getting a reply... me being silly :oops:

Better features, much better 4K video, faster AF, I think most people would say a much better sensor, and sharper Zeiss lens. Many pros and semi pros use this as a backup...
In a Nauticam housing you have more options for wide angle lenses.

The rx100 and g7 may be more capable cameras but for the camera and housing you are looking at probably double the price of the TG-4 with housing(if that matters) and should definitely be capable of your goals.

Jack & Skeptic14, I'll definitely take a closer look at TG-4...thanks! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom