How I Got My Windows 10 Computer to Talk to Galileo Luna via Infrared (An Epic Tale)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After hours of internet searching and some trial and error, yesterday I finally got my Windows 10 laptop to recognize and download dives from my new Galileo Luna. I had to tackle several different issues to make it work.

The problem starts with Microsoft, because when they released Windows 10 it would not work with infrared ports or adapters (IrDA). When folks using IrDA to link computers to devices upgraded to Windows 10, they lost the ability to access those dive computers and other devices.

Microsoft recently released Windows 10 Version 1511, and that was step 1 to fixing the problem. Once you install that update, your computer will actually recognize the IrDA device in Device Manager. But, it still probably won't work. In my case, the IrDA dongle acted like it was dead. Windows troubleshooter told me I had to plug the infrared adapter into a USB 2.0 port. That's not an option for me, and it turned out to be complete nonsense anyway.

To get my IrDA USB adapter to actually work, I had to "manually configure IrDA network by unbinding and binding the IrDA protocol." (It's all ball bearings nowadays.) To do this, I removed the IrDA USB adapter from the USB 3.0 port, and then I followed the following steps (this is from Microsoft):
  1. Open an "elevated" Command Prompt window (a command prompt window with admin privileges - google "elevated Command Prompt" for instructions).
  2. At the prompt, type this line: netcfg -u ms_irdanetcfg -c p -I ms_irda
  3. Hit enter.
  4. Restart the computer.
Then I plugged the adapter into the USB 3.0 port. I thought I was in business because the light on the adapter blinked. Then I tried to connect the Luna to the SmartTrak software, but the software still would not communicate with the Luna. The computer still wasn't seeing the Luna at all. (Apparently, I failed to check the Fetzer valve).

I was pulling my hair out at this point, and I stumbled on another post on Scubaboard suggesting that I manually set the transfer rate for the IrDA device to 19200. Do this with the IrDA plugged in to your USB port.
  1. I went to Device Manager, and found the IrDA Adapter in the list.
  2. I clicked on the > sign
  3. I right-clicked the IrDA Adapter
  4. Clicked Properties
  5. Clicked the Advanced tab
  6. In the list, selected Speed Enable
  7. Under "Value", selected 19200
Note that steps 5-7 above are likely specific to my Syba IrDA dongle. If you are using a different USB device, the steps are probably a little different.

After I did this, I opened the SmarTrak software. Then when I held the Luna's infrared window against the dongle, I heard a chirp telling me that the connection was established. And then I was able to download my dives to my laptop.

you would save time by reading Scubaboard.
that's documented since moreless one month

And why don't you be kind enough to provide the link that addresses this specific issue?

And why don't you be kind enough to provide the link that addresses this specific issue?
and why you don't be able to find it, in the Scubapro forum ?
only Scubapro computers were affected, that's the only brand using IRDA.

and why you don't be able to find it, in the Scubapro forum ?
only Scubapro computers were affected, that's the only brand using IRDA.

I guess your type aren't kind, just rude.

Good for you. The problem has caused quite a stir and with the Win10 deadline just past there might be a bunch of new upgrades that are now pissed (or soon will be) that their Infrared doesn't work. Another thread is another thread to be able to find.

I knew about this, but only upgraded a couple days ago and just this morning had to do this tweak to download yesterday's dive.

It's been a while since this post was updated, I wanted to provide the fix that worked for me. In GumbyDammit's steps above, Step 2: At the prompt, type this line: netcfg -u ms_irdanetcfg -c p -I ms_irda was corrected in a different post to remove the "-" before the "I", so it should be: netcfg -u ms_irdanetcfg -c p I ms_irda

Then remember to restart W10, after doing this I still couldn't connect to my Galileo Luna using the Galileoconfig software, so I found this post by Scubapro that did the trick. After doing this fix, I had to remove the USB IRDA from the port and plug it back in, I hope this helps:

https://www.scubapro.eu/sites/eu_sc...760.695316845.1594051528-590993315.1594051528

After hours of internet searching and some trial and error, yesterday I finally got my Windows 10 laptop to recognize and download dives from my new Galileo Luna. I had to tackle several different issues to make it work.

The problem starts with Microsoft, because when they released Windows 10 it would not work with infrared ports or adapters (IrDA). When folks using IrDA to link computers to devices upgraded to Windows 10, they lost the ability to access those dive computers and other devices.

Microsoft recently released Windows 10 Version 1511, and that was step 1 to fixing the problem. Once you install that update, your computer will actually recognize the IrDA device in Device Manager. But, it still probably won't work. In my case, the IrDA dongle acted like it was dead. Windows troubleshooter told me I had to plug the infrared adapter into a USB 2.0 port. That's not an option for me, and it turned out to be complete nonsense anyway.

To get my IrDA USB adapter to actually work, I had to "manually configure IrDA network by unbinding and binding the IrDA protocol." (It's all ball bearings nowadays.) To do this, I removed the IrDA USB adapter from the USB 3.0 port, and then I followed the following steps (this is from Microsoft):
  1. Open an "elevated" Command Prompt window (a command prompt window with admin privileges - google "elevated Command Prompt" for instructions).
  2. At the prompt, type this line: netcfg -u ms_irdanetcfg -c p -I ms_irda
  3. Hit enter.
  4. Restart the computer.
Then I plugged the adapter into the USB 3.0 port. I thought I was in business because the light on the adapter blinked. Then I tried to connect the Luna to the SmartTrak software, but the software still would not communicate with the Luna. The computer still wasn't seeing the Luna at all. (Apparently, I failed to check the Fetzer valve).

I was pulling my hair out at this point, and I stumbled on another post on Scubaboard suggesting that I manually set the transfer rate for the IrDA device to 19200. Do this with the IrDA plugged in to your USB port.
  1. I went to Device Manager, and found the IrDA Adapter in the list.
  2. I clicked on the > sign
  3. I right-clicked the IrDA Adapter
  4. Clicked Properties
  5. Clicked the Advanced tab
  6. In the list, selected Speed Enable
  7. Under "Value", selected 19200
Note that steps 5-7 above are likely specific to my Syba IrDA dongle. If you are using a different USB device, the steps are probably a little different.

After I did this, I opened the SmarTrak software. Then when I held the Luna's infrared window against the dongle, I heard a chirp telling me that the connection was established. And then I was able to download my dives to my laptop.

Thanks for a great tip that saved me cursing my new Windows 10 system. SmartTrak worked on my old Windows 10 system but only half worked on the new one. The Add Features worked great for adding IrDa functionality, but the software would barely check for dives to download and would not check dive computer properties. Your tip to reduce the send speed to 19200 saved the Day!

Hope you are still functioning. I went through the who non connectivity rote when ms canned the ir. Now suddenly it does not work again. Can connect with Win7 and Win10 2004, but 20H2 on 64bit is not working. Anyone else got this?
Also, it seems my transmitter will not pair. I happily was using a Smart z and transmitter from Nov 2010 to October 2018 with no transmitter battery change, when the smart z bombed out mid dive trip. On return, the agents claimed the battery had come loose. Claimed I must have dropped it!!. I had to get the Gall Luna and new transmitter. Now after 6 logged dives, non pairing. Agent claims the 2/3AA battery is flat. Mind boggles if a replacement will be required. Wants $26 (battery on line cost normally $10.) Unfortunately, lately Scubapro equipment seems to be overpriced and unreliable. Also suspect being gouged!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom