How often do you dive? How often is "realistic"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems my Achilles Tendon is trying to tear again. I'll try again tomorrow, but on a limited schedule.

Get split fins.

They are much easier on the legs and feet. Sorry about the tendon.

Sort of a vacation diver here but not exactly. I do have a quarry about 15 minutes from the house and can go off our coast most anytime I want to but the past few years I have mainly dove on vacations. This year is an off year with only Roatan and a Caribbean liveaboard on the books. Next year it will be two weeks in Palau, one week in Cozumel, and two different weeks doing the Sea of Cortez on a liveaboard. On average I guess I get in between 50 - 75 dives a year.

I normaly have 3 diving days a week (exluding scuba classes), and one or two dives each of those days. But it varies, sometimes, like now, I am totaly booked with scuba classes and don't get to do any "me-diving". and other times I am on a dive vacation and dives multiple dives 5 days a week for a month. What I have observed is, for fresh divers, around 50 dives a year is about normal, at least around here.

I am a new diver with conditions probably similar to yours regarding temperatures and I reckon this year I will probably manage to get to 50 dives (20+ in one week on a liveaboard holiday in October).

I have the chance to dive every week (the shop I did my OW with do trips every weekend) but with other things going on I am probably only diving one trip a month at the moment.

I've been averaging 120-150+ dives a year the past three years or so. A mix of sea diving and a local quarry. I get in most weekends, sometimes both days, and the occasional mid-week jaunt. I DM 2-4 days a month and do another 2-4 days a month of fun diving. In total, I'm probably nearing 100 this year already. I've been pretty active.

Get split fins.
Stairs did it, not the fins. I need to lose weight and that's all there is to it. When I had Achilles surgery years ago, I tried all the various flavors of fins and found that there was very little difference between the Hollis and Splits as far as pressure on the ankle. However, I was able to move easily, forwards and backwards with the F1s but not with any splits.

Here in Colorado, we do not have ANY diving that people want to do on a regular basis. I do it on occasion, but I would guess that 90% of local diving is done for instruction only. For our shop, more than 80% of the people who get OW instruction do the checkout dives during a vacation with a referral from us. Amazingly, our state has had among the highest rates of divers per capita in the nation for decades. For that reason, some have argued that our state motto should be "Colorado--just a plane flight away from great diving!"

Our most popular "local" destination is a sink hole in New Mexico (the Blue Hole), about 6 hours away from Denver. There is another sink hole near it (Rock Lake), which is where I do most of my "local" diving, but that is on private property and only available to a relative handful of divers. (IMO, it is the best diving in the entire Rocky Mountain region.)

As for me, in addition to that local diving, I do travel. My wife and I live in Florida for a couple months each winter. We go to Mexico with some frequency, where I get in most of my cave diving. We go on other more exotic trips, too--we will be in Bali for a few weeks this fall. My life is thus a balance between lots of opportunity and little opportunity, leading to an annual average of between 100-130 dives.

well, i'm a member of the "hate me" club. Living on Florida's Treasure Coast is awful for diving because we dive year round. Plus we have turtles (mating season is now), sharks (lemon shark mating season in Jan), Goliath Grouper aggregation (Aug-Sept) along with dramatic reefs and ledges and wrecks. It's just awful.

I'm at about 200 dives.....THIS YEAR. hate me...i don't care :D

well, i'm a member of the "hate me" club. Living on Florida's Treasure Coast is awful for diving because we dive year round. Plus we have turtles (mating season is now), sharks (lemon shark mating season in Jan), Goliath Grouper aggregation (Aug-Sept) along with dramatic reefs and ledges and wrecks. It's just awful.

You are on my "hate" list.

And you scrub dives when the vis is down to a miserable 60 foot.... Arse..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom