Boat cleaning fatality - Fort Myers, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jumped in without turning his air on? Only real possibility.
Possible. Others being roll off or J valve.
No mention of cylinder pressure, that would provide more information speculation

This posted at "All things nautical" on Facebook regarding the accident:

"Brandon Kemp the diver that takes care of my boat Died when diving a boat at the Edison Ford Marina in Fort Myers. He was 32 years old with a wife and two kids. The reason I am sharing this here is he was Electrocuted from a faulty ground On The Boat he was diving so please Unplug when you have a diver down that includes running your generator and At anchor turn it off."

Name released publicly:

Brandon Derrick Kemp's Obituary on Panama City News Herald

According to Google Maps, the marina is on the Caloosahatchee River about 10 miles upstream from the Gulf. I don't know the area, but would imagine that the salinity varies with the tides and river flow.

We lived aboard in Legacy Harbor Marina which is just east of the Edison-Ford Marina (about 10 minutes up river). The water is definitely brackish and supports barnacle growth. At our condo (another 2-3 miles east) the river is still salty. I doubt that the Lake O releases have turned the river fresh.
Dockside electrics and onboard generators are different animals from residential AC electricity. You have to be careful with the wiring of the neutral wire or bad things can happen- to the boat, the wiring or you! Be careful out there!

Hello everyone. I am not a diver. I am the sister-in-law to this diver that passed away. His name was Brandon Kemp. Just to clear up some of the above questions.... He was in FRESH WATER. His tank and air were on and functioning properly. He was, as far as we can see, electrocuted. The autopsy said his heart sustained an event his body could not overcome. At this time everything is under investigation which is why you have probably not heard anything else about this case. I have been combing the internet for more information and that is how I found this page. He left behind his wife(my sister) and 3 children ages 4, 11 and 12. I have been learning as much as I can about ESD and I don't think people are aware of how much electricity is in the water and how it can go undetected. Brandon had cleaned this boat before and was familiar with the marina; so even the most familiar places can change very quickly. Things deteriorate and overtime can be harmful if not fatal. Be careful out there!

Hello everyone. I am not a diver. I am the sister-in-law to this diver that passed away. His name was Brandon Kemp. Just to clear up some of the above questions.... He was in FRESH WATER. His tank and air were on and functioning properly. He was, as far as we can see, electrocuted. The autopsy said his heart sustained an event his body could not overcome. At this time everything is under investigation which is why you have probably not heard anything else about this case. I have been combing the internet for more information and that is how I found this page. He left behind his wife(my sister) and 3 children ages 4, 11 and 12. I have been learning as much as I can about ESD and I don't think people are aware of how much electricity is in the water and how it can go undetected. Brandon had cleaned this boat before and was familiar with the marina; so even the most familiar places can change very quickly. Things deteriorate and overtime can be harmful if not fatal. Be careful out there!
Abyrd, my most heartfelt condolences to you and Mr. Kemp's wife and children.

That's terrible, I had no idea that was even possible. My condolences to you and the rest of the family.

Hello everyone. I am not a diver. I am the sister-in-law to this diver that passed away. His name was Brandon Kemp. ... He was in FRESH WATER. His tank and air were on and functioning properly. He was, as far as we can see, electrocuted. ... Be careful out there!

I wasn't aware that this was possible either. Thank you for sharing the background on the incident. I am so sorry for your loss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom