Safety of older BCs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I see quite a few older BCs for sale locally by people who became divers in the 1980s and are selling their gear.

People are buying and diving this stuff.

It seems to me that at some point, age alone should be enough to take a BC out of service. They're made out of plastic materials that deteriorate with age. Unlike, say, a regulator, the parts prone to deterioration can't be replaced. Am I thinking too conservatively on this?

The only reason I might buy one is a "beater" for pool use only.

So long as people are buying them with their eyes open (ie seeing the faults and potential issues as well as the bargain price tag) there should be no issues.

Build material, storage conditions and usage are more important factors for me than simply a manufacturer date.

I've had rental gear that deteriorated in a year and know horse collar style bcds still going strong since the 1960s.

However, let the buyer beware.

Happy diving,
Cameron

I'm currently using a SeaPro Freedom Pac I bought new in 1985. It has always been stored in a cool dry place. It has always been rinsed well after each use. I inspect it and maintain it. I also have spare parts.
BUT, if you are buying one second hand, you need to be very cautious! Keep in mind that this is a piece of equipment that could be responsible for saving your life. You wouldn't cheap out on your regulator, would you? Do your research and find a new BCD at the best price or limit the age of a used BCD to no more than 3 years of age. If buying used, make sure the BCD is still in production. This will ensure that you can buy replacement parts if needed.
Good luck with whatever BCD you get- new or used!

It seems to me that at some point, age alone should be enough to take a BC out of service. They're made out of plastic materials that deteriorate with age.
Not necessarily. I am not aware on any data to support your assertion, to 'take a BC out of service', simply because of age.

However, where I might agree - buyers of more 'mature' BCDs should understand that there may be a greater chance of bladder failure, or parts failure, simply because of extended use. And, replacement parts may not be available. That is also true for regulators, by the way.
Am I thinking too conservatively on this?
Possibly. Buying used gear is a personal decision. There are always risks associated with doing so. But, I wouldn't exclude a used BCD simply because of age. There are MANY reasons I would not buy a used BCD, and all of them have to do with what it is, not its age.

My most expensive BCD was bought new and failed withing 20 dives while I was in Mexico. I like my tested ones better.

My wing is at least 10 years old, if not older, and it's still going strong.

Like stated above, age alone is not really a determining factor, modern materials when properly stored have a very long shelf life. If it is not worn out, brittle and functions properly there is no reason at all not to use it.
I do take exception with the idea that a BC is any kind of safety device, it's not. It is purely a convience device...it is a buoyancy COMPENSATOR and it's purpose is simply to make diving easier and has nothing at all to do with safety. If you rely on a BC for any sort of safety function, you are misusing it and need to rethink your diving. Except in a few technical diving situations, the total failure of a BC should be nothing more than a nuisance.

Funny you should mention that. I just started diving again after a 14 year absence and got my kids certified. My old BC didn't fit me anymore so my son inherited it. He dove with it on the first day of his OW sessions, and when he came home I noticed that the OPV was leaking. He said there was no problem during the dive. When I checked to see if there was something stuck in the valve, the whole thing came off as the entire weld failed so it went straight into the trash. My wife's BC still works fine and I made sure to tug on her OPV.

Back
Top Bottom