Eon Steel Mod depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are numerous charts/spreadsheets available.

The formula is simple:{(maximum partial pressure of oxygen / percentage of oxygen in tank) - 1} x 33 ft
For EAN32: ((1.4/0.32) -1) x 33 = 111.375 ft

Who said scuba training was being dumbed down? "I got it off a computer" I'd love to hear what Suunto has to say

It's pretty embarrassing for a dive operation to post incorrect MODs, doesn't boost my confidence.

I have EAN32 set at 1.4 ATA and the computer shows MOD 106, it should be 111 on the PADI table I have. If I Move to ATA 1.6 the computer shows MOD 126, it should be 132 on the table.
Do all the Suunto dive computer's read 5 to 6 feet shallower than the tables or is it just the Eon Steel?
read the user guide, page 43, chapter 3.17 paragraphe 2

Suunto add 1% for all their computers

Last edited:
DupoisP has it.

PO2, CNS and OTU's are all calculated using the EAN +1 while your bottom time (nitrogen saturation) is calculated using the number you input. This adds some conservatism to the PO2 and CNS since we are supposed to always round down what the analyzer says and you could have 32.9% and still input 32.

As for the question of do all Suunto computers do that, Yes. I have several spanning several generations of Suunto dive computers and they are all that way. DM5 is actually more conservative showing 108 at 31% and 1.4. That makes me wonder if any of the computers are even more conservative.

DupoisP has it.

PO2, CNS and OTU's are all calculated using the EAN +1 while your bottom time (nitrogen saturation) is calculated using the number you input. This adds some conservatism to the PO2 and CNS since we are supposed to always round down what the analyzer says and you could have 32.9% and still input 32.

As for the question of do all Suunto computers do that, Yes. I have several spanning several generations of Suunto dive computers and they are all that way. DM5 is actually more conservative showing 108 at 31% and 1.4. That makes me wonder if any of the computers are even more conservative.

That makes sense, much better than giving the wrong MODs. I don't think Suunto's handling of pO2 is well known, most of us have never heard it before. It's conservative, consistent with the decompression algorithm Suunto uses. From the Eon Steel manual, I was unable to determine if Suunto uses the Epson Seiko algorithm (90 minute O2 elimination) or a rolling 24 hour window as Pelagic Pressure Systems employs to monitor O2 exposure.

We round down the EAN% because DCS, though rare, is more common than O2 toxicity.

Back
Top Bottom