One month in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gulen

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Me and my husband are travelling around the world and currently in Indonesia. We are planning to stay a few weeks in Ubud and after that travel around Indonesia for almost one month. Our main focus will be on diving.
I am AOWD with 30 dives and my husband is a Divemaster.

We want to dive at Tulamben, Komodo, Raja Ampat and Sulawesi but it will cost tooooo much if we do them all.

What are your recommendations for July-August season?
I think in Raja Ampat it will be rainy season. Is it possible to dive there at this time of year or should we skip RA?

It's not the best time for Raja Amat and it's the most expensive. Save it for another trip in the right season.

Don't miss Komodo, it's epic. Your choice of LOBS budget to pricy. Itenerarys leaving from Bali which are great if you like Muck, or leaving from LBJ. Also for even less $ are day boats out of LBJ, or my current favorite land based Scuba Junkies, south of LBJ an 1.5 hours.

North Sulawesi has great choices and most renowned is Lembeh, home to some of the world's best muck diving, it's critter heaven if you like Macro. Also in the area are Bunaken and Bangka. Bunaken has nice walls and reefs, Bangka reefs, and pinnacles and highly rated. There are great budget options for all.

Tulamben is awesome too. The wreck is great and the muck there can rival Lembeh. There are also some nice reefs in Tulamben. Tulamben is probably the cheapest of all.

Fair warning, if you spend a month diving in Indonesia your going to get addicted and do anything to get back there.

Welcome to Bali Gulen!

We hope you are enjoying the islands of the Gods!

Don't miss Komodo, it's epic. Your choice of LOBS budget to pricy. Itenerarys leaving from Bali which are great if you like Muck, or leaving from LBJ. Also for even less $ are day boats out of LBJ...

Dirtfarmer is right, Komodo is epic and we are having really good manta sightings at the moment! Komodo caters to a diverse range of budgets and itineraries, yet offers many items on a divers bucket list (i.e. mantas, reef sharks, tons of reef fish, beautiful hard and soft coral reefs, frogfish, nudis, all kinds of cephalopods and crustaceans).

Currents can be a bit strong, but with the right operator and guide you can still have a wonderful time.

Cruising from Bali to Komodo offers you a glimpse of Nusa Tenggara and opportunities to visit more of the Indonesian archipelago and see waterfalls, local villages (with living fences and stilt houses), the only volcano seawater lake in existence and some easy nice reef dives and macro sites. Not to mention you don't have to miss a no-fly day on the return, since you'll be able to cruise and dive your way back to Bali.

Fair warning, if you spend a month diving in Indonesia your going to get addicted and do anything to get back there.

Lol, TRUE! It's phenomenal and offers something for just about everyone.

Wherever your dive holiday takes you have a wonderful time!

Bunancan and Tulamben are great places for a new diver. Lembeh is interesting too. Have fun :)!

wakatobi is very cool as well..great spot. we will be in bunaken and raja ampat soon.

P7203237-adj-trim-small.jpg

we have been to wakatobi a couple times from where pic is from (~50 ft). we have heard very good things about raja ampat. so we will check it out. we will be staying on kri island in raja ampat area for 10 days.

Me and my husband are travelling around the world and currently in Indonesia. We are planning to stay a few weeks in Ubud and after that travel around Indonesia for almost one month. Our main focus will be on diving.
I am AOWD with 30 dives and my husband is a Divemaster.

We want to dive at Tulamben, Komodo, Raja Ampat and Sulawesi but it will cost tooooo much if we do them all.

What are your recommendations for July-August season?
I think in Raja Ampat it will be rainy season. Is it possible to dive there at this time of year or should we skip RA?

Hi gulen :)

What an awesome itinerary you're planning! Sounds like my 'Indonesia Dive Bucket List'! :wink:

Well, may I suggest for your plans to dive Tulamben be definite because you're planning to be on Bali island anyway (Ubud), and it's approximately 2 hours driving distance. I'm assisting a local friend of mine to develop his business, Bali Dream Divers', which has its own dive centre with adjoining bungalow villa accommodation. The establishment is about 50 metres from the entry/exit point to dive the famous USS Liberty Shipwreck (a must dive site when in Tulamben!) Currently, I myself am freelancing for Bali Dream Divers, and we offer private transportation (from/to anywhere on Bali Island), accommodation, with all costs of equipment rental, diving fees and porter fees included in our dive packages.

It's really convenient to arrange a dive package to include all your travel plans (Raja Ampat, Komodo, Sulawesi and Tulamben). When you arrive at I Gusti Ngurah Rai International Airport, Denpasar, one of our drivers can greet you immediately to drive you to Ubud, OR Tulamben if your Ubud plans are not 'set in stone' and you wish to start your diving ASAP (otherwise there's a taxi counter where you can get a driver and taxi arranged at the arrivals hall; but as with all airports, this is the most expensive transport arrangement). Otherwise, we can pick you up from your address in Ubud, and when you depart Tulamben, our driver can take you to I Gusti Ngurah Rai International Airport, Denpasar,for a domestic flight to Labuan Bajo International Airport. Or if you're planning to by sea, our driver can take you to Amed or Padang Bai to catch a ferry to Mataram on Lombok.

If you want to go by sea to Komodo, there's many companies, but be forewarned that its a long journey with many bus and ferry rides (about 2 days), and the sea can be tempestuous (so do make sure you've chosen a company that prioritizes your safety). Many travellers decide to take a flight from the international airport on Bali to Labuan Bajo International in Flores where Komodo National Park is nearest - because it's quicker and safer than going by sea!

Bali Dream Divers do their very best to personalise an itinerary to suit you, so travelling can be as flexible as you need it to be. They specialize in diving in the Tulamben/Kubu/Amed area (North East Bali), so you could do some research on those who specialize in offering dive packages in those other Indonesian islands you fancy.

For some information on what Bali Dream Divers get up to on a daily basis and what Tulamben has to offer - check out their active blog here > Island of the Gods: A Divers' Paradise
Have a look at recent reviews from our guests on our Trip Advisor listing too > Dream Divers (Tulamben, Indonesia): Top Tips Before You Go - TripAdvisor

Enjoy your travels around Indonesia - it's going to take some planning for such a mammoth trip, but it will be SO worth it! Keep diving! :)

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom