Mares Proton Ice Extreme V-32 Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H20Flyer

Registered
Reaction score
I own a Mares Proton Ice Extreme regulator/octo and I am very happy with it. However I have not done any diving in anything less than 40 degrees F. Is the regulator safe and reliable for water in the low 30s F or not. Mares originally advertised it that way and the Navy originally tested and approved it for cold water but I just saw this older Navy safety letter. http://www.public.navy.mil/navsafecen/Documents/afloat/Diving/Articles/DSL_S09.pdf

I am happy with it and will continue to dive with it but if it isn't suitable for cold water than I would just like to know. Thanks.

Here in the past six months NAVSEA 00C has issued two diving advisories for equipment recalls and regulators beingdowngraded to "Not for Cold Water Use" Here is a summary of both messages.AIG 09-07 Mares V32 Proton Ice (Extreme Previously known as ICE Teflon)
1. COMMANDS WHO HAD BEEN USING THE MARES V32 PROTON ICE EXTREME COLD WATERREGULATOR (MARES MODEL NUMBER 416128) CAN RESUME USE IN WATER TEMPERATURES OF 38DEG F AND ABOVE.
2. THE MARES V32 PROTON ICE EXTREME COLD WATER REGULATOR IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR USE INCOLD WATER ENVIRONMENTS (37 DEG F AND BELOW). COMMANDS USING THE MARES PROTON ICEEXTREME FOR COLD WATER DIVING WILL STOP USE IMMEDIATELY AND USE OTHER COLD WATERREGULATORS LISTED ON THE ANU.
3. REFERENCE ANU LIST EQUIPMENT NUMBER 1.4.13, REGULATOR, COLD WATER, MARES PROTON ICEEXTREME. ALSO NOTE THAT UNDER COMMENTS IS FOUND THE WORDING, "NOT AUTHORIZED FORUSE IN COLD WATER ENVIRONMENTS (BELOW 38 DEG F)".
4. DURING MANNED TESTING, RECENTLY PERFORMED BY THE SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTE INANTARCTICA, A 50% (3 OF 6 EXPOSURES) FAILURE RATE WAS CONFIRMED DURING DIVINGOPERATIONS IN 28 DEG F WATER. FAILURES WERE CAUSED BY FREEZING AND FREE FLOWING. THISPOSES A SIGNIFICANT DROWNING HAZARD TO DIVERS IN COLD WATER ENVIRONMENTS
.​

I have a v32 but changed it from oil filled to dry cap never had an issue with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom