How long is a dive computer good for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing about divers who might have old computers is that we often have old eyes! Not a lot of bright, large, color LCD screens in 90s era hardware, so maybe it's worth treating yourself to a Petrel for a "milestone" birthday... :)

That is certainly a plan for the future, but I am still probably at least a year away from any dives deeper than 140'. I have several Hollis DG02 for my kids/family to use, but I find the screen to small and busy for me. So for now I use an older Nitek3 that works great and has 3-gas and a big easy to read screen.

I figure there is no point in buying a $750 computer a year before I will need it. Prices might come down, or some new model is likely to become available by then.

So I have no problem sporting the vintage computers. Aladin Pro for Air dives and backups. Nitek3 for my primary/Nitrox dives.

The thing about divers who might have old computers is that we often have old eyes! Not a lot of bright, large, color LCD screens in 90s era hardware, so maybe it's worth treating yourself to a Petrel for a "milestone" birthday... :)
So I treated myself to a new pair of gauge reading mask from DGX for US$49.95.

Things just become obsolete.
I stopped using my Beuchat Maestro Pro because:
- air only, no nitrox
- interface is DOS only and it becomes a pain to have a dual boot arrangement on my latest PCs which all run Win 10. Note that the interface is obligatory because if the let the batteries run down the settings revert to extremely aggressive ones.
- the (replaceable) batteries are no longer easily available.

You reach a point where the hassle doesn't balance against getting a new (and better) device.

my oldest computer is an Aqualung Matrix Master (Pelagic hockey puck), my newest is a Sherwood Amphos wrist computer. In between I have Aeris, Nitek, Suunto (multiple units of each brand.
Nitek "Duo" was returned to DiveRite three times and the last time was replaced with a "Trio" It still works..... most of the time.
One Aeris just stopped working, and has sat in a drawer for years.
All the others still working and used for different types of diving profiles.

I also know divers who still use the Orca Edge. Can't miss them, big brick on a hose, no BC (navy bands), J valve, no "octo" (unless they have a pony) and a picture of Mike Nelson on their gear box.

I've never
Nitek "Duo" was returned to DiveRite three times and the last time was replaced with a "Trio" It still works..... most of the time.

I had several of these fail on me over a few years.

My oldest computer is an Orca SkinnyDipper. It works but I don't use it.

Rarely worry about the age of any of my dive computers as long as they don't start malfunctioning

Until last weekend (when it was stolen), I had a very 'mature' Dive Rite Nitek He. It still worked, and it was fine for recreational air / nitrox dives, and as a loaner. The display was increasingly hard for me to read under low light conditions, but it was fully functional, even for trimix dives (although I dive other computers for those dives, now).

Computers for recreational diving generally last until they fail, or their use is so inconvenient / limited that they aren't worth the hassle, or someone who thinks a lot of you buys you a shiny new one.

A buddy of mine still dives his old Orca Edge.

Bob

Sounds like my kind of guy! I also still have my Edge from 1988. Of course I rely on a Shearwater Perdix now, but it is an indication, that computers can last a long time!

I still dive with my U.S. Divers Monitor 1 from 1992. Brass Anchor Scuba put in a new battery, and it works just fine.

It is easy to read, reliable, and rugged. The algorithm seems to be, if anything, conservative. Saving money on that has allowed me to put my funds into better upgrades, like bpw, new hp tanks, DIN reg, new suit, etc.

Limitations?: Air only, no air integration, and no computer download, the latter of which I don't care about. Oh, and it induces snarky remarks from the less enlightened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom