Dive Services in Pedang Bai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My wife and I just secured reservations for a 12 day cruise in Raja Ampat this December. Since this trip is Sarong-Sarong, we realized we could go through Denpasar just about as easily as through Jakarta. That means we could squeeze in a week or so of diving in Bali on the way to Sarong! So I browsed all the threads on this site and decided Pedang Bai looked worth investigating. A little over a year ago we did a liveaboard cruise through Komodo, and on the way we got in a week's worth of diving in Tulamben.

While we were in Tulamben, we stayed at Liberty Dive Resort. It was great! But I remember that when we checked in we told them we would need only tanks and weights and we distinctly did NOT want a guide. That lead to 15 minutes worth of argument, but we finally won. But during the following week I noticed that we were absolutely the only people around without a guide. And the more I watched other groups, the more convinced I became that it was essential not to have a minder along. At Drop-Off, in my mind the best dive site around Tulamben, the guides would take their charges down in 15' of water over bare sand, then swim them over the bare sand toward the wall. By the time they got there, it was time to turn around and head back. My wife and I would surface swim to the wall, which wasn't far, then get our whole dive over some amazing topography. We would never have seen any of it if we had been with a guide.

In looking at Pedang Bai, I saw some people recommending Geko Dive Shop. So I wrote to them last night to see if they would rent me tanks and weights. Here's what I got back:

"Thank you for your email. The Geko Dive Team would love to dive with you. We only rent tanks and equipment out to established dive businesses on Bali. We do want to help, but we find that renting tanks out to divers who have no experience of the local dive sites, their currents, their safe entry and exit point is counter productive. Diving Tulamben is a totally different beast than diving the sites on the sides of the Lombok strait. Number of dives done elsewhere does not help with knowing the local sites.

On the other hand, we would be happy to have you dive with one of our guides this December." Blah...blah...blah. Followed by a price list for all the services they offer...including Open Water courses!

So now what? Is Padang Bai the wrong place to go? We did dive off Nusa Penida on our Komodo trip so I know there is a certain amount (ahem!) of current there in the Labok strait. It was awesome! But if we can't go on our own I would just as soon skip diving Bali and go straight to Sarong. Is there another dive operation I should investigate, or should I be looking at another area altogether? We did Tulamben fairly thoroughly last trip so I would like something different this time. Any pointers would be very much appreciated. But please don't lecture me about why I should have a guide. I've heard it all before.

Bruce

Hey I used to live in Saratoga.....boy has that place changed! Is there anyway I could talk you into Lembeh? Kind of on the way to Sorong and if you fly Singapore air, you can fly right into Manado. The diving pairs well with RA!

Hey I used to live in Saratoga.....boy has that place changed! Is there anyway I could talk you into Lembeh? Kind of on the way to Sorong and if you fly Singapore air, you can fly right into Manado. The diving pairs well with RA!
We'll, I've already got my in-country flights now, DPS/SOQ R/T. I'm just trying to figure out whether to take some extra time in Bali to get in some diving on the way. I just got some depressing email back from a friend who is a tour organizer and goes through Bali frequently:

"In regards to Bali diving I really have not done it myself other than Tulamben for mainly the reason you state below, you will have to have a guide pretty much everywhere…..if I hear of anything I will let you know. I normally go to Ubud and hang out and chill with organic food, massages and walks."

This woman does know her way around over there so it's a real downer to hear her say either go back to Tulamben or give it up!

Hi to all (including the guy who reposts my private messages to a public forum in a non-anonymous manner while altering content -> I did not say anything about doing an Open Water Course, Bruce!).

Just to make it clear to everyone, there is no option to shore dive anywhere in Padang Bai. And, not to lecture anyone, but a PADI Course Director that attacks an operation for divulging local knowledge about currents FOC sounds to me like he's wearing the wrong shoes...

Now, that all hell will break loose and I prepare myself for further rowdy behaviour, I'd like to add that there will be no further contribution from my side to what will surely become a most entertaining monologue.

Everyone get the pop-corn ready and enjoy!

Gecko Divers is right, there are no options to shore dive in Padang Bai. All of the dive operators are based in the bay, where there is boat traffic. The sites are outside the bay. You must take a dive boat or jukung out to the dive sites, the coastline is too rocky to walk around. Also, some sites can have crazy current. If you choose to do these I would suggest you listen to the professionals who know the area and how to dive it.

The only options I can think of that has access to the coast, outside the bay, is Bloo Lagoon hotel, they are not a dive resort, but you may be able to get someone to fill your tanks and deliver them to the resort. From here you have access to 1 maybe 2 dive sites (but you may have to swim). It's a rocky coastline except for their little beach. I don't really know if this in an option, since I haven't stayed there, I'm just trying to offer suggestions where it may be a possibility.

The other option is get a homestay and book dives with Nusa Penida diving. They use a jukung and you can charter it with a guide. Ask them to take you to the site, follow you and only intervene if they see you about to get into a dangerous situation. Of course this only applies for easy no-current macro dives. We used Wayan last year, we know Wayan and he knows we know how to dive Indonesia. He was happy to allow us to do our own thing while he stayed close by. He may be more strict with someone he doesn't know, you can always ask?

now what? Is Padang Bai the wrong place to go? We did dive off Nusa Penida on our Komodo trip so I know there is a certain amount (ahem!) of current there in the Labok strait

For your information, Padang Bai is in Lombok Strait. Some of the boats & ferries going to Lombok go from Padang Bai.

Balinese are very nice people. They just want their guest to be safe wondering around in their country, much like us if they are in our country. If you don't want to be guided around, then just simply tell Made, Ketut, Wayan or Nyoman to follow you and only interfere when you are about stepping into a cliff. He'll be glad to do it with a smile.

This woman does know her way around over there so it's a real downer to hear her say either go back to Tulamben or give it up!

Yes, listen to her. So, just relax, chill out in Ubud, get a massage, check out Monkey Forest, see Barong dance, take elephant ride or Ayung river rafting, etc. You'll have plenty of diving in Raja Ampat and you don't want to get hurt before going to Sorong.

As others already stated no, there's no shore diving in Padangbai, but the diving there is excellent as it is in many other areas of Bali outside of Tulamben...your friend hasn't passed along good info to you. If you were to dive Padangbai in December you might have a chance at a late season mola mola, and the macro is excellent..the Jetty in particular is one of my favorite dive sites in Bali. Geko is a great dive op...have dove with them many times and will again next month when I'm back in Indonesia.

Ambon and the Manado area dive areas Lembeh/Bangka/Bunaken also combine well logistically with Raja Ampat, and i can think of one operator in Ambon (Blue Motion) where it's likely you'd be able to dive with out a guide, but I'm also going to give you what you say you don't want..a lecture about using a guide. I'm not sure where in the world you are most used to diving, but when you saw everyone diving with a guide in Tulamben there was a good reason for it....guides aren't there to "babysit," they are there because you will only see a fraction of what they see on your own! The best advice i've got to give is to dive with an experienced guide and compare the experience to what you got on your own and i think it would open your mind, as well as not limit you to a narrow range of dive options in a country with diving as amazing as Indonesia's

Everyone get the pop-corn ready and enjoy!

I feel my bag of pop-corn was wasted.

Where is all the abuse, trolling and name-calling?

Disappointed. Where do I submit my claim for pop-corn refund?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom