Will be diving Athens today and Terrell (cssp) tomorrow, any tips or advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
1st time at both. Any tips from parking, best entry points, don't miss items, and lunch spots? Thanks in advance for your response!

Jay

When diving at Athens, be absolutely certain that you rinse your gear thoroughly after each and every dive with a thorough cleaning after the last one. I don't know if they still do this, but a prior owner put something in the water that not only inhibited plant growth but did strange things to some gear if it wasn't promptly cleaned.

Again, please note that I do not know if this is still the case but better safe than sorry.

cssp is cold water and thermos clines that are not un-noticable. if I remember 15 ft and around 22 ft and then its to cold for me to dive in a shorty. far end of lake is a polane that is nice to dive.

Athens is nice water a lot of attractions are corroding away so be careful around some of them.

When diving at Athens, be absolutely certain that you rinse your gear thoroughly after each and every dive with a thorough cleaning after the last one. I don't know if they still do this, but a prior owner put something in the water that not only inhibited plant growth but did strange things to some gear if it wasn't promptly cleaned.

Again, please note that I do not know if this is still the case but better safe than sorry.

Don't know anything about that. The current owners are the only ones I have ever known to have toe place so thtas no about 14 years. Its a clay bottom so not much can grow there. Blue lagoon on the other hand has a ph on the alkaline side of things

Thanks for the replies. Visibility was less than hoped....but my expectations may have been too high. Athens was less than 10 feet, Terrell a little more in places. We did not get to Athens until around 5 pm but they were doing a night dive that day and let us dive anyway. They had lots of students so it may have been stirred up more than usual. 3 planes, we only got to 2. Lots to see and is a large park. Guide lines would help but we got lots of navigation practice. Great people running the thing, excellent fills. We dove without wetsuits and had no problems. No fish. Super 8 in Athens has a $50 diver rate.

Terrell is about an hour North of Athens. Spring fed so bring your wetsuit. Multiple thermoclines as you drop with 30 feet being in the "Nope" range for my wife. 1 plane, several boats, and a swim through metal shark( we did not make it that far) lots of fish, big perch and several large bass. Visability was slightly better than Athens. Nicer facilities and parking at the various docks. Terrell is deeper, but at 30 feet vis was limited and it was cold. On this trip, we enjoyed Terrell more, but not by much. It may change on the next trip as I really like diving planes, don't know why.

We dove almost an hour and a half at each and still didn't see it all. Terrell did have some guide lines from the middle platforms to the shipwrecks, but that was it. Guidelines at both with an underwater circuit would be nice. We took a bearing and followed it from point to point, but with the limited visability, a minor deviation meant you missed the next object.

Both were $20 a diver, staff was friendly at both, and facilities were clean. We will be back to both.

Thanks again for your responses.
Jay

ATHENS HAS A SEASON PASS oops, 50 dollars pays the years entry fees. its a good deal.

We dove Athens today...about the same. Vis around 6'. All the runoff from the rain this past year or so has made vis consistently pretty low. Used to be a time (years ago) you could see from one side of the lake to the other.

I've never seen it more than 10-12' myself. Haven't made it to CSSP, yet.

Ive seen vis where you could see one of the buss to the other. it was a stretch to see it but it was there. 25 feet is not too uncommon based on the seeing end to end of the planes. I have never witnessed an vis whee you could see across the lake. The owners have said you could see end of the old jet from the shore before, when discussing navigation training.

It's certainly great for honing navigation skills...no cheating there!

It's certainly great for honing navigation skills...no cheating there!
absolutely if you had the bearings charted. I don't remember if the map there has the info on it. a good place for navigation is blue lagoon. I have made some sheets to nav with and have personally put on tags with black on white labels saying B2 boat 2 or P3 platform 3 ect. If I can find it I can give you the cheat sheet for getting form any point a to any point b. I had them printed on bumper sticker material and put it on 2x6" plexyglass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom