Newbie but not really.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric M

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm somewhat uncertain how to describe my level of experience. Here is why and I'm going to ask for your opinion. (Perhaps this is a mistake)

Between cca 1982-1984 as member of scuba club in former Czechoslovakia I was preparing to take a diving certification exam. The governing body was some French (I think) organization. In those two years I have completed over 50 dives in lakes with max depth of 40 meters, which was requirement. These dives were done with instructors and I used to have log but I can't find it. I was 17.

So now I finally got PADI certified and found the OW process ridiculously easy and somewhat overpriced for what one gets, but I'm digressing. I got certified a year ago and completed 12 dives of which last four on Nitrox. I don't see myself as beginner. I feel as confident in depths as I did 30 years ago. It feels to me like if you haven't biked for years and suddenly you get on and every instinct, every fiber in your muscle knows what to do. Except for one thing: now I am so very much aware that I'm theoretically 10-15 minutes from being dead. I mean, driving or flying also has inherent risks.

Currently I'm gearing toward AOW and I can't wait. I just wish I had that log book. Thanks for reading this.

Would that French organisation be CMAS by any chance? Not a fly by night certification agency by any stretch of the imagination. You probably got a far better knowledge base than you ever will nowdays.

I feel as confident in depths as I did 30 years ago.

So I take it you're late 40's now? You are indeed more knowledgable & seasoned that a typical fresh OW graduate, but a couple of thoughts to ponder.

1.) Dive computers now let people get more nitrogen saturation on multi-level dives than using tables (which assumed square profiles) did.

2.) You're not 17 anymore, and nitrogen narcosis can have varied effects on divers, often without the diver being aware he's significantly affected/impaired. Since you specifically mentioned 'in depths,' I'm speculating you are getting back into some fairly deep diving, and I don't know how cold, dark, or physically demanding (e.g.: exercise and CO2 build-up) your dive conditions are. You might want to do a little searching/reading about 'dark narc,' anxiety attacks due to narcosis at depth, etc..., so you don't get surprised. Especially since individual susceptibility may vary from dive to dive, and from what Dr. Bill and MaxBottomTime have posted in other threads, it's possible with frequent deep diving you may develop a tolerance and then lose that tolerance if you abstain from deep diving for awhile.

Glad you're diving again; hope it's a true joy.

Richard.

I do 40 to 50 dives a year (ok we are warm water snobs and go to the carribean 3 times a year), we have done this for the last 10 years.....I do not consider myself an experienced diver! Comfortable at depth? Yep. Good buoyancy? I think so. But I have to much time off between trips to say or think I am "experienced". Never underestimate the danger when entering a hostile environment, which SCUBA diving is. JMHO Bill

Don't worry so much how to classify yourself. After the layoff, getting the AOW training is indeed a great way to improve your skills. Just work on additional skill development, ensure your competency, and enjoy diving!

Hi Eric, it matters not a jot how you describe yourself, labels don't matter, what matters is that you know your own limitations, stick to them, and dive safely. I also took a long break, nearly 30 years, after diving with a search and rescue team with work in my late teens and early 20's.

When I came back I was nearly 50, I found that equipment had changed, dive computers had been invented :) (ok I exaggerate a little) but most importantly I found I wasn't the fit 20 year old who had dived before.

I had no trouble with picking up the knowledge, surprisingly I wasn't quite as confident as I expected I would be, I think as you get older you get a sense of your own mortality and become more cautious, but took it to it like a duck to water so to speak.

So don't take this the wrong way, but I don't consider 50 dives that many, even if you count your previous dives, add on the 20 years of maturity you have attained, you would still be a relative beginner in most books.

CMAS is still around, when I 'came back' I trained with them through a club setting up to instructor level, and felt they gave me a good grounding and training, without the commercial pressures associated with some courses.

I would say welcome back, don't worry about labels or badges, get the training you need for the type of diving you want to do - not for the card or title, but for the knowledge and skills so you "know you know, what you need to know" to enjoy your diving safely and just get out there and have fun.

Dive safe - Phil.

I know it's already been mentioned, don't worry about the labels because there's no one out there that really cares except for you. Ultimately you're the only one that will have to answer to your abilities in differing environments and situations. Personally I just kept taking different courses with different instructors over the years and I always try to surround myself with other knowledgeable divers so that we can learn from each other. I would always want to be seen as the sponge that is willing to soak up new knowledge than the rock that no one helps because of a impenetrable know-it-all attitude.

Glad you're back with us and hope you'll enjoy your stay.

I do 40 to 50 dives a year (ok we are warm water snobs and go to the carribean 3 times a year), we have done this for the last 10 years.....I do not consider myself an experienced diver! Comfortable at depth? Yep. Good buoyancy? I think so. But I have to much time off between trips to say or think I am "experienced". Never underestimate the danger when entering a hostile environment, which SCUBA diving is. JMHO Bill
I don't think that makes you a "snob". There is nothing wrong with war water diving. That's what we do and like you, we dive 2/3 time a year. That's what the past 12 month looked like anyhow but much diving in Colorado. And clearly whether you monutain climb or scuba dive you have respect the nature and have gear in good shape, also being in good shape yourself, and make calculated and wise decisions.

Hi Eric, it matters not a jot how you describe yourself, labels don't matter, what matters is that you know your own limitations, stick to them, and dive safely. I also took a long break, nearly 30 years, after diving with a search and rescue team with work in my late teens and early 20's.

When I came back I was nearly 50, I found that equipment had changed, dive computers had been invented :) (ok I exaggerate a little) but most importantly I found I wasn't the fit 20 year old who had dived before.

I had no trouble with picking up the knowledge, surprisingly I wasn't quite as confident as I expected I would be, I think as you get older you get a sense of your own mortality and become more cautious, but took it to it like a duck to water so to speak.

So don't take this the wrong way, but I don't consider 50 dives that many, even if you count your previous dives, add on the 20 years of maturity you have attained, you would still be a relative beginner in most books.

CMAS is still around, when I 'came back' I trained with them through a club setting up to instructor level, and felt they gave me a good grounding and training, without the commercial pressures associated with some courses.

I would say welcome back, don't worry about labels or badges, get the training you need for the type of diving you want to do - not for the card or title, but for the knowledge and skills so you "know you know, what you need to know" to enjoy your diving safely and just get out there and have fun.

Dive safe - Phil.

I'm glad other folks have been there - done that as well. And thanks for your reasuring comments. After reading these comments I came to clarification that it's not really so much what I label myself rather than how I was excluded from "deeper" morning dives during my last two Cozumel trips.

Back
Top Bottom