Taxi v. Bus from Cancun to Playa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a search on this topic but couldn't come up with anything in the last five years so dated. There'll be four of us with gear. Cheaper/better to take a taxi? Do they have vans because I think a Corolla ain't gonna work!

By Cancun, I'm assuming you mean the airport.

The answer to your question is no.

Google Cancun airport transfer --- most have their favorites, but all are pretty close in price. Or take the ADO bus. With one or two, I'd do the bus. With 4, I'd rent a van.

Are you coming from somewhere in downtown Cancun or straight from airport?

ADO Bus still costs $64 peso (about 3.5USD) from Cancun downtown bus station) or 168 pesos (About 9USD) from Aeropuerto to Playa

9USDx4ppl = ~36USD. You won't find a taxi van cheaper than that however if you can find a van for $50-60 it may be worth it. Van will be faster than bus. I've been able to find taxi vans from Playa to Cancun for that price but I haven't looked going the other way. I usually take bus but then again it's usually only me or one other person.

Someone on here may have a local cell of a taxi driver that can help you.. I've lost all my contacts unfortunately.

For 4 people, we use a private van transfer. They're waiting when we walk out of the airport, drive a bit faster, and drop us off slightly closer to the ferry pier. For 4 people it's about the same cost as the bus.

For more than 4, it's cheaper to use a van. If it's just one or 2 of us, we use the bus. A private transfer van must be arranged ahead of time.

A taxi will have all the (relatively minor) speed advantages of a van, but will always be more expensive per person than the bus.

No mater how you get to Playa del Carmen, you're still going to have to wait for the next ferry.

i would highly recommend Jose . he was waiting just out side with my name on a sign
very easy to use, excellent quality van and driver

call this number in Mexico and ask for Jose and say you are a friend CV Chief aka Rick Heiniman.

# country code 52 998 201-1720

ps Dave from Aldora gave me his info

Andrew

Here is the long version of the Van Guy info I got from Cvchief, I have yet to use him as I normally travel solo but if I have to do the bag drag with my wife I plan to use him.

Info on my van guy:

You will have to negotiate via email. He usually starts around $70 one way. A girl from DF I sent to him got $43 for two of them and he supplied some cold modelo. I have never managed that. I got two vans last time for $55 per van for 13 people total. I seem to never get less than 45. And I can't talk him into providing beer, though he made sure to tell me the driver would stop for me to buy some on the way! I told him it must be because the girl from DF was prettier than me.... About half the time we get a FAST driver which I like as it always seems I exit the airport with just enough time to make the next ferry. He will be waiting just outside the doors for you, probably with a sign. He knows me now, so as soon as I exit, I hear him calling me. Nice guy. Stopping for a six pack makes the drive nicer and you can carry it on the ferry. Be sure to tip the driver!

Tell him Richardo "Jefe" Hileman sent ya! Maybe I can get the beer outta him next time....

Jose Marino Hernandes
American Transfers Cancun
Mobile: (998) 201-1720 (MX)
E-mail: forsale_jose@hotmail.com

We use Cancun Valet, want to say it costs us about $70 to Puerto Aventuras for two folks; so probably cheaper just to PDC.

Added link to Cancun Valet website.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom