Cleaning Out A Flooded Ys-01

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't believe there is a good pressure seal between the battery compartment and the electronics, so you may find water in there too. That's often fatal, or "Beyond Economic Repair". It would be wise to remove the front and make sure there is no water nor corrosion on the electronics, but be very careful not to touch the big capacitor. 350V will wake you up.

Others have said the spring on the two post contacts may break due to corrosion, which is also true. Give them a push to see if you have spring. If the spring is broken, you can replace it but you have to take the whole strobe apart from the front.

To clean the brown rust, I use a long Q tip and vinegar. You may have to abrade any corrosion to get contact. I use an ink eraser (it has abrasive) for the inner contacts and "scotch brite" pads or 300 grit sandpaper to remove stubborn corrosion. It is very common to have battery corrosion on all contacts, and this is my usual remedy for that too. These can give years more of life but will require occasional contact cleaning once the plating is damaged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom