New Diver and my wife may kill me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sneak it in the house and hide it. If your wife finds it tell her it's not yours and you are just holding it for a friend.

I took a different approach, I belong to a number of clubs and I am the equipment officer for one of them - that means my workshop is always full of both my gear and club gear being cleaned, assembled or generally fettled. New stuff comes and goes all the time, if some of it doesn't go away SWMBO never really notices :)

Time for another BC methinks !

Phil.

I agree with most except in my case the wife is afraid of deep water. So I'm going to circumvent this by getting my grandson certified next year I hope.

My husband dives for me really, I'm the more enthusiastic diver. He wasn't sure about a dive vacation, but I've tempted him with a valet style dive vacation...I'm not sure who I'm spoiling, him or me :D

dive safe!!

Just last month she bought a full-face mask. I think she actually likes all the gear and gadgets more than I do!

You know that you can speak fairly well with a FFM right? I'm not sure I would want Mrs. Stoo to have one of those. Currently, diving is the one time that I can get a little peace and quiet... ;-)

Up side for your wife being into diving: you don't get in trouble when you buy gear and you always have a dive buddy. Down side diving is expensive by it self then you double the gear. Two rebreathers, two scooters, so on and so forth. Its all a trade off.

Welcome, @turnpike17! My son and I were at Tenkiller last Saturday and we actually just completed our AOW there the Saturday before that. Last Saturday was probably the best viz I've seen there at about 15'.

Which LDS do you use?

If y'all have the secret to get your wife into diving, let me know. I've tried to talk her into it...multiple times, but no dice.
I don't know the secret and I've since given up on trying. It's not her thing and she's not comfortable in the water so I've come to accept that it's probably for the best - better for her to be safe above water than to get into a situation she can't handle underwater.

One possible tip - if you have older children, get one of them into it. My oldest son is my diving partner and since he's unattached, I'm actually the limiting factor in how much diving we do. Even better, he's gainfully employed so he buys his own equipment and pays his own way on dive trips!

Like anything though, there is a downside - the wife expects as much to be spent on non-diving vacations as on dive vacations!

Welcome to the dark side turnpike! I know waht you mean about buying gear.....which is why I had my wife buy all of mine for me! And that includes a FFM, which in my opinion is the ONLY way to go! The Ranger is a great BC I'm sure! I have the Brigade myself (Ranger harness with a smaller 35lb bladder) and love it! Not certain about the rest of your gear, but just seeing the names I'm sure it's all at least decent stuff. I didn't break the bank on my gear, but I at least bought stuff I knew I wouldn't want to replace in a year or so. So....Hog D3 first stage, mares Viper Octo, Ocean Reef G.Diver FFM, Oceanic ProPlus 3 console and of course my Brigade. I'm definitely a firm believer in buy it right the first time. And my wife being the accountat she is shares my opinion on that. I'm working on getting her certified, but lake diving in not so many words freaks her out! If she can't see...she's not diving. She's done the classroom and pool sessions but didn't make it 10 feet deep in the lake. So...I'm rethinking my strategy and taking her to another park this weekend where vis is closer to 25-30 feet. Eventually I want to come dive Tenkiller, though.

So yeah....best way to get her off your back about buying gear.....buy her some, too!

Happy bubble blowing!

You know that you can speak fairly well with a FFM right? I'm not sure I would want Mrs. Stoo to have one of those. Currently, diving is the one time that I can get a little peace and quiet... ;-)

Well, she dives a FFM, but I dive a regular mask so we cant' talk :)

Well, she dives a FFM, but I dive a regular mask so we cant' talk

You're gonna be in a world of hurt when she buys you a pair of underwater headphones. She'll do all the talking and you'll be complaining about the 'shorts in the headphone wires', I mean listening.

If y'all have the secret to get your wife into diving, let me know. I've tried to talk her into it...multiple times, but no dice. I think I'm dealing with the "Jaws factor", although she's always interested when I come home with some sharks teeth

Take a Florida vacation and start off in Gainesville where she can get certified in Ginnie Springs and then take some dips in Devil's Den and Blue Grotto. Then as a celebration for her getting certified take her to Epcot where she can dive in their aquarium. It'll be funny when she hears to stay away from the dolphin enclosure because they're territorial and a bit dangerous and then dump you in the main tank with the sharks. I took my daughter there to get used to diving around sharks. Turns out a few other dads were there with their kids (and a wife) for the exact same reason. It was so much fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom