Question about God's Pocket in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thumbsplitter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are diving with God's Pocket next June, and we are looking for advice. Should we book a separate whale watching trip (either out of Port Hardy or Vancouver City), or will we likely have enough opportunity to see orcas, etc. while at God's Pocket? What if we skipped one dive to take the kayaks out?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

--Thumbsplitter

Last edited:
I have been to Browning Pass 4 different times. In my experience If the whales are in the boat operator has taken us out near the whales between dives. I would not miss a day of diving to kayak. I would go for an evening paddle and then go for the night dive.

Just an FYI, my favorite times for Browning Pass are the spring and fall, April or September. I have been in June and that was my worst visibility, 15 feet versus 80 feet. The trade off with April is that water is really cold, about 45 degrees.

That June trip was my first, it was black at 20 feet. Even with that, Browning Pass is some of the best diving in the world!

Having been to the area twice and stayed once at God's Pocket I would not miss a day of diving. I would book a separate whale watching excursion. I was with God's Pocket in October where we saw a couple of humpbacks from the dive boat but no orcas. The diving is as amazing as you have heard, maybe even better. God's Pocket does an outstanding job with everything.

I would also suggest you do a night dive off the pier. We saw a huge Octopus out hinting. Quite the sight.

Jim

I have been to Browning Pass 4 different times. In my experience If the whales are in the boat operator has taken us out near the whales between dives. I would not miss a day of diving to kayak. I would go for an evening paddle and then go for the night dive.

Just an FYI, my favorite times for Browning Pass are the spring and fall, April or September. I have been in June and that was my worst visibility, 15 feet versus 80 feet. The trade off with April is that water is really cold, about 45 degrees.

That June trip was my first, it was black at 20 feet. Even with that, Browning Pass is some of the best diving in the world!
Yes, I know that the viz would be better earlier in the season. Unfortunately, I teach every fall and spring semester, so late may/june is as early in the season as we can go, and late august is as latest. I'm glad to hear it was still great diving, even with the low viz.!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom