Sidemount Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ozwald

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not sure if this is a rant or what but nevertheless I thought I'd post.

I just took a local sidemount course and am less than impressed to say the least. I guess what I'm looking for is any else's opinion and what they did if they experienced the same. The course consisted of a 2 hour classroom session, 2 hours in a public pool and a day out at the lake (3 dives). Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it about "instruction" as opposed to do this and do that and if it meets minimum standards you pass? I have roughly 300 dives on back mounted doubles and was quite proficient but the allure of sidemount grabbed me. I bought the sms100 and had maybe a dozen dives on the rig, made some tweaks using some of Ed's ideas as well as a couple others, this was prior to the course. I had signed up for this course course in the hopes of going over hose routing methods, weight distribution etc but nothing. It was more of a "do this and do that" and all while underwater. Personally I don't feel that there was any "instruction" of anykind but more of a hold your position, OOA drills, air sharing and unclipping. I was hoping to get my trim somewhat better and as I mentioned go over different options for hose routing, tank mounting etc. I am dissatisfied to the point that I plan on heading somewhere south that gives proper instruction if there is such a place, I'm sure there is. Anyhow, I guess this was more of a rant. Thanks for reading.

I know what the big names are pushing the sidemount training now that it is getting more popular. I don't think the requirements to be a sidemount instructor are very rigorous.

I'm planning to head to Protec in Mexico for my sidemount training.

Since sidemount hit the mainstream recreational marketing machine, it is common to read complaints of inexperienced sidemount instructors passing on their knowledge, or lack of it.

Sidemount lends itself too highly variable set-ups and tweaks among the different sidemount systems and quick a bit of variability within the same system.

This can be overcome by lots of experimentation on your part to find out what works for you and of course having an experience sidemount instructor familiar with multiple sidemount systems will cut down the learning curve by quite a bit.

I was lucky, because fortunately, here in Calgary one of the sidemount instructors is familiar with multiple sidemount systems and is also full cave certified. So he brings things up another level in his course.

So, the short of it – there are many instructors doing it by the numbers and there are also instructors passing on knowledge and experience. And your experience is not uncommon to any dive course or instruction.

My 2 cents...

Is this really unusal in sidemount? I thought this is the reality of scuba training. Looking back at all the courses I have ever taken, including even GUE Fundamentals, they were something around 97% demonstration / evaluation of pre-existing skills / experience doing something once or twice, and maybe 3% actual meaningful feedback / guidance / actual learning. I think almost anything I've learned was either before the class, or after the class, either thanks to mentoring from an instructor or a fellow diver, or by practicing things on my own. Not during the class. Standardized courses, by design, have to try to accommodate every possible kind of diver, and as such, IMO, they are destined to disappoint.

I don't think you will find what you are looking for in one class. There isn't a standardized system like the Hogarthian / Gue system in bm. Due to the time limitations in a class I really don't think you will get much more than the way that instructor does it. Sure they might mention other ways but they will be biased to their way and more than likely just gloss over it. There are advantages and disadvantages to everything. If you are a cave diver I would just go get some guided dives with a few different instructors who do things different and pick their brain on how they do it. You don't need a card and they should be fine with an informal class. You are paying for their time.

For me, the PADI course included a 10min. conversation, 1 hr in the pool and 4 open water dives. Oh yah, there was a workbook that I went through while sitting on the beach...
Reg swapping, gas management,valve manipulation, propulsion reg. donation and swimming while sharing...
Pretty much all I expected.
All went well. Not sure what else he could or should have covered.

No video on me yet but I promise I will post some next chance I get. I have hours of video from that trip but it is all sea life.
To be honest, Andy, SB played a big part in my prep for the course. You sir, in particular, made the transition easy with the quality and quantity of the information you have offered here. I really like how well stated your responses to threads are.
I thank you all for your guidance both directly and indirectly.
I wasn't disappointed with the training received. Just clarifying a similar experience as the OP.
I really hope I don't look like some of the pictures in Andy's article above. Lmao.
Fwiw, my instructor was tech trained and DMed single tank SM every dive.

So looking at the pics in your article okay, nothing was even remotely close to that and the instructors form/trim in the water is perfect. Quite possibly it's just me expecting more. Thanks for the input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom