Wreck diver dead - Lake Huron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Body Of 67-Year-Old Diver Found Near Lake Huron Shipwreck
WEST BRANCH, Mich. (AP) – The body of a 67-year-old diver has been recovered from Lake Huron.

The Bay City Times reports Monday that state police divers found Richard Castillo’s body Sunday afternoon near a shipwreck he and two others were trying to explore.

Castillo and the other divers left an Oscoda boat launch Saturday afternoon and headed eight miles out on the lake to the shipwreck.

The other divers returned to the boat and contacted the U.S. Coast Guard when Castillo failed to show up.

The Coast Guard was unable to find Castillo Saturday.

State police Sgt. Pete McNamara says Monday that it’s not known how Castillo became separated from the other divers.

An autopsy will be performed to determine how he died.

Another news article states that he was from Detroit: Missing diver recovered after exploring shipwrecks

It's a shame. Rich was a good guy all around and was quite active. He was quite an experienced diver, but he was no spring chicken either. Conditions on the lake were perfect that day as I was diving north of their location. I'll post more information once I learn more from a friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom