LBTS, other places, for shore diving, practicing photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning a trip to LBTS for mid-August to check out the shore dives and practice my underwater photography. I've been reading some of the older threads about LBTS and shore diving in the area, but I haven't yet come across a real in-depth description of recommended sites/entry points, protocols, and sea life I can expect to find. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd like to get as familiar as I can with the area and dive expectations before I head out because I had such a "meh" experience at the Blue Heron Bridge due to, in part, bad planning. I'm even thinking about hiring a DM/guide for the first dive to get me started. I also signed up for the Gold Coast Scuba Divers meetup.

are you staying in LBTS?..if not.....there are several portals to access the ocean off of A1A but be advise the parking meters are the no arm bandits in this town (they take credit cards and quarters)......the shore to reef distance is about 100 yds to start and gets better the further you go out. here's a beach cam south of the commercial pier.....

Windjammer Web Cam - Lauderdale-By-The-Sea Beach Cam

hope this helps.

Jill, you might want to PM Scuba Jenny on the board. She is a DM / underwater guide, photographer and very knowledgeable about South Florida shore diving. In addition, she's a great buddy.

are you staying in LBTS?..if not.....there are several portals to access the ocean off of A1A but be advise the parking meters are the no arm bandits in this town (they take credit cards and quarters)......the shore to reef distance is about 100 yds to start and gets better the further you go out. here's a beach cam south of the commercial pier.....

Windjammer Web Cam - Lauderdale-By-The-Sea Beach Cam

hope this helps.

Thanks, iamrushman. I was looking at staying at the Windjammer, if they have an available apartment and the price is right. But I'll still be staying somewhere in LBTS. Do you know the depth at the drop off? Or if the shore dives are limited to tides or certain times of the day? Or where I should start looking for that information? Would I definitely need a dive buddy? I don't know that I'll have a dive buddy for all days I'll be there. I saw that the Gold Coast Scuba Divers meetup might have a Sunday morning shore dive, so I could join that. Anyway, I've only done 1 or 2 other shore dives, so this is a whole new experience for me (and I'm kind of enjoying planning it). :)

I came across this: Fort Lauderdale Surf Report, Surf Forecast and Live Surf Webcams

Jill, you might want to PM Scuba Jenny on the board. She is a DM / underwater guide, photographer and very knowledgeable about South Florida shore diving. In addition, she's a great buddy.

Thanks, sbijou. I'll PM her once I've figured out what I'm going to do (dates, etc.).

We made our way over there twice last year. First visit, first day, tried to enter at Datura Ave. But the surf was too rough. The second day was better, but I don't think we went out far enough and it was so-so.

The second visit we did three days of consecutive diving. We used Vista Park as the entry point. Even though each day on the surface was the same, underwater we had three distinct dives. First day incredible vis, came across a vast field of acropora. The second day slightly less vis, didn't find the acropora but came across a large section of gorgonians some 6-8' tall. Third day even less vis, and so many small jellyfish we called it quits after about 20 minutes.

That's just my experience from two visits. One thing we did, which I recommend, was to bring a beach umbrella and a umbrella base. We set up the umbrella and donned all our gear under it, then stowed it in the back of the truck. When we returned, put it back up to take everything off. August will be brutal heat..........

@ScubaJill ....never stayed at the windjammer but it is right on the beach....so you can wake up and walk in the ocean...(great location)...i guess kinda like a land-based live-aboard...i don't know your background of expertise level but it is an easy shore dive when the weather is cooperating....it is quite a swim to the ledge and takes about 45min to 1hour with out a scooter but doable on a flat day...i have done it many times.....the depth inside is 15 to 20 fsw and at the ledge 25 to 35fsw...

Last edited:
Pompano beach would be an alternate location(several miles north); 8th street, 6th, 4th, 2nd (also new public garage at the beach is probably open by now.) There's patch reefs about 150-200 feet off the beach but best for photography would be to swim all the way to the Drop off as others said above (about 400 yards out).

Check my signature links, there's videos and pictures from that area (INMO, best $5 dives in South FL, along with LBTS).

Dive Blue Heron Bridge for photo ops. It is north of LBTS about 45 miles in Riviera Beach, especially if the conditions at LBTS aren't so good. It is best around a high tide. Use tides for the Port of Palm Beach. Viz at BHB yesterday about 20ft with 84 degree water. Parking has been fullish this week, so go 2-3 hours before high tide and get in an hour or so before HT for a 2 hour dive. Max depth is 23 ft. My wife guides there. See Blue Heron Bridge Dive Guide on Facebook.

I was there last week, for a week and stayed at The Windjammer. Its my 4th year there. It really is the ticket to easy beach dives.

To get to the nice reef area you have to go a ways out. 1st reef is sanded over, 2nd is ok and you can do some photography there. Best place if you are swimming is out from the end of the peir east about 100 yards. 3rd reef is beautiful but you really need a scooter to see it, like I did.

This is all 3 reefs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom