LBTS, other places, for shore diving, practicing photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, all. These comments are really helpful. I'll be going for 3 days to dive and I won't be renting a car, so I'm looking to do a liveaboard-on-land scenario.

This is all 3 reefs.

Great vid thanks for posting...now i really want to make it out to the 3rd ledge!!!

Great place, love the Windjammer and the Santa Barbara too.

Hope to see some of you there in late Aug.

MikeS in San Antonio

@ScubaJill ....never stayed at the windjammer but it is right on the beach....so you can wake up and walk in the ocean...(great location)...i guess kinda like a land-based live-aboard...i don't know your background of expertise level but it is an easy shore dive when the weather is cooperating....it is quite a swim to the ledge and takes about 45min to 1hour with out a scooter but doable on a flat day...i have done it many times.....the depth inside is 15 to 20 fsw and at the ledge 25 to 35fsw...

I have done the trip from shore out of the Datura portal several times all the way to the third ledge where water depths reach 60 plus feet. It is a LONG, LONG (did I say LONG!!!) swim and is really more appropriate with a kayak.

I do not take my (good, all relative) camera in here because it just ruins the housing with all the sand. I suppose if it were flat calm but there is usually some minor surf and unlike California where the water drops off fast mitigating large surge/surf on entry, you get the washing machine effect for a good long distance banging the crap out of the housing, filling the glands full of sand (and everything else). I did the Copenhagen by kayak and the third ledge by kayak along this area several times much easier despite having to fanagle with a kayak than swimming for near two hours one way and then back as long and winding up so far down the beach (from the long shore current) that I had to bum a ride with a, uh, bum of some sort and the police thought I had stolen somebody's gear, lol.

N

Alright, trip is set, last weekend of August. I cut it short by one day, but with the savings, I can make another short trip in September. :)

I don't scuba but I have been free diving a little bit as of lately. If you'd like an extra body around when you are in the water I'm sure I could find some time to make a trip with you.

I don't scuba but I have been free diving a little bit as of lately. If you'd like an extra body around when you are in the water I'm sure I could find some time to make a trip with you.

I've not dived with a free diver yet, but if you want to come out, that'd be great.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom