computer dependent divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xanthro:
As I posted, I could tell you within 5 feet where my depth is at any time, but I don't STARE at my depth gauge constantly. I can also tell you within 100 psi of my air, but I don't stare at my pressure guage either.

I can tell you everything about the dive at any time during the dive and be reasonably accurate.

Where we differ is this, I'll let my computer remember things for me, I won't let it think for me.

It's not important to remember the exact minute the dive begins and ends. When my dive is finished, I don't want to be repeating in my head, "Dive time 54 minutes" as I get to the boat or shore. Once I'm there, I don't want to have to write it down immediately. I want to help my buddy, clean my equipment, and sit for a second and reflect on the dive.

The dive computer stores information for my dive log, and it stores it more accurately than I would remember, which helps me plan my next dives.

Xanthro
That's pretty much what I do, too..... Glad to see we're on the same page, regardless of what tools we used to get there.

I'm making one last post here, then I'm hoping to let this thread die a quick death.

First, I'm not knocking computers. I love my apple, and I teach programming PLC's so I'm all for technology. I'm even looking at getting a dive computer. I wish I had picked a different title for the thread...makes it look like I feel all computer divers are bone heads. Not the case at all. I didn't mean "dependent" like they couldn't dive without one, but "dependent" on it to tell them something they just did 2 minutes ago. Let me also add that I usually log my dives when I surface... I surely don't expect anyone to have to memorize all their daily times and depths until the end of the day, that really was not the point. These divers had just exited the water and didn't have a clue what depth they had achieved. Just seemed odd to me. Then they all had computers so I just wondered if that had any bearing on it. You have all proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that all computer divers are not oblivious to their depth and times. Again, I wasn't trying to generalize computer users as "bad divers". Wasn't my real point at all...the title screams differently I know, but it wasn't my point. I do not feel that an analog depth gauge ranks me superior to anyone, and I don't think analog is better than digital for diving.
I still don't like digital delay. Analog wins there!:)

Sincerely,
Jason

I know you said you wanted this thread to end. But in the sense of the being dependant on technology. I dive completely digital: depth, time, and hoseless air intergration.

So yes I do have a lot going on this computer that is strapped to my wrist and the transmitter on my 1st stage. However, as a recreational diver is told, any malfunction and the dive is over. And like stated earlier, at any point in time I could tell you my max depth, current depth, air, NDL within reasonably safe accuracy. If I ever had to abort a dive because any one part of this failed I would know that I would be able to grab my buddy, safely ascend, and make a safety stop. I just know not to push it to the limit and I think that most people think that way.

I just use a bottom timer and tables. My air doesn't last long enough for a computer to be worth having.

I don't understand why someone would spend all that money on a dive computer when a stopwatch and a depth gauge will do the same thing. I do see the advantage if every minute of NDL time counts because you can make a tank last you three hours underwater, but hey, I'm not anywhere near there yet.

Not to mention, I repair computers for a living. I know how often they like to either fail completely or simply scramble your data. I'm not sure I'd want to rely on one like that.

Hey, I'm just a rookie diver. What do I know anyway.

Hey Robert,

First thing I use a computer for is to record my dives. I have never logged dives before and this is an easy way to do it. I know that I am lazy and can easily do this.

I also dive with a backup bt, depth gauge and have always used an analog pressure gauge.

Joe

JustJoe:
Hey Robert,

First thing I use a computer for is to record my dives. I have never logged dives before and this is an easy way to do it. I know that I am lazy and can easily do this.

I also dive with a backup bt, depth gauge and have always used an analog pressure gauge.

Joe

That's a good point. I'll admit, having a downloadable profile of your dive must be pretty nice. I can see where that would be handy.

It is kind of a pain to pull out a log book on the boat and sit there filling out the charts. On the other hand, filling in the details gives my wife and I a way of re-experiencing the dive.

I do think the downloading of your profile is cool though.

I do add my notes to my dive after I download them. It is kinda crazy but now I do write up my dive, after I download it. I would never have done that without the computer. And I get to relive it all over again.

Joe

ps> maybe I should also say tthat my computer backs up my gauges

Xanthro:
Unless you have an analogue max depth indicator, in order to know your max depth, you'd have to constantly look at your depth gauge. If you have a max depth indicator, it's no different than looking it up on your computer.

I allow my computer to track my max depth and time in, time out, and total time. I'm aware of my max depth to within around 5 feet without the computer, and I could start and stop a stop watch, but why?

Why have a depth gauge at all? Afterall, one could argue it's nothing but a crutch.

When I surface, I don't want to have to remember my bottom time. Sure, I check, but why commit the time to memory? Nothing is gained by it.

Xanthro
my computer works as a gauge, on air, and nitrox.

pasley:
What ever floats your boat. One pont I believe all would agree on, we love your avatar and you sure got great taste in the female avatar selection department.

I agree. I enjoy ShakaZulu's avatars as well and I drive a Ford.

bubble blower:
I've noticed something lately. When I go dive with a diver using a computer (I'm old school, depth gauge and watch) at the end of the dive when we go to fill out our logs the first thing they do is ask me what was our max depth and bottom time, or they run off to grab their computer to see what it says.
Once I hit my max depth, I know my max depth for the remainder of the dive and am aware of my bottom time as soon as my head pops the surface.
It seems as though all these computer divers are looking at is the NDL or time remaining (if even that...).
Anyone else see a similar trend?

I can completely agree with you about that trend... it IS there... A lot of divers are more than happy to let a stack of silicon chips do the brainwork. Not all divers, but I see enough of them screw up that it makes me really wonder if some people shouldn't have "special" classes before they can buy one... ---> IMHO

But, maybe its from using Microsoft products for so long but I have absolutely NO faith in any type of computer! I kept looking down and expecting to see the blue screen of death "Fatal Error" notice...

I had one, actually just sold it a few weeks ago... bought it 4 years ago and it had 3 dives on it and it hadn't been out of its case in over 2 years! My problem was I never trusted it, I was always checking it against real gauges like my P.T. bottom timer I've had since the 80's... (Hey... That was technology in its day! :wink: )

Maybe in a couple years I'll try going high tech again... Just won't hold my breath...

:crush:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom