Anticipated mid-August Southern Channel Island conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm booked for a mid.-August limited load Southern Channel Islands 5 day trip with Truth Aquatics & I'd like to know if anybody cares to hazard a guess as to what conditions are likely to be. Seems like last year was atypically warm? Well, any ideas what sort of bottom temp.s, viz., etc...I'm likely to see?

I've never visited or dove out of California, so I can only go by what I read or am told.

Thanks in advance.

Richard.

Water temps dipped briefly but have recently climbed up again. Between El Nino and "the Blob" water conditions have been sketchy to predict at best. I expect you will get mid to low 60's with a thermocline to the mid-50's in many spots. Water has been green lately but viz varies so much spot to spot, and day to day, it's impossible to tell what you might get. All that said- the Truth boats will get you to the best possible diving for wherever you are at.

Thanks, Mike, good to know. I don't usually dive with a full wetsuit (either none or a 3mm shorty) in the ocean, so to prep. for the trip, I've done 2 dives at the local quarry (deep enough to have 2 thermoclines with a bottom temp. in the mid.-40's). With the built-in 'bioprene' I'm okay with a 5 mm full wetsuit, 7 mm hood, 5 mm gloves & 6 mm boots (once my face numbs up, and my hands do get cold).

This is how I plan to dive on the trip, Lord willing and providing. The new 2 XL OMS Slipstream fins fit with my SeaSoft Stealth 6 mm boots, but the upper tops of my feet get sore. With repetitive diving, that could be an issue. Since my size 15 feet are a bit bigger than the Stealth's ideally fit, they may be a tad snug, plus the Slipstream spring straps are pretty strong. I've got a pair of Neosport size 15 7 mm boots on order, and hope they work out better.

This trip offers conditions new to me, so I'm trying to get ready. The water's warmer than the coldest I dive, but we're talking repetitive diving (if all goes well). Really wish I could ditch the hood (even a 2 XL Henderson AquaLock pulls on my lower jaw), but I don't think that's going to happen. I'm also planning to bring a Spare Air 3 cf (yes, I know it's basically something to breathe on a CESA, not like a 'real' pony, but the afflicted dive shop doesn't rent ponies from what I'm told) in case I dive solo. Not sure how that'll work out.

I'm aiming for a 'fun, educational trip, trying something new' (new ocean, cold water, hopefully kelp & seals/sea lions). It is shaping up to be educational & cold; hope the rest falls into place!

Thanks again!

Richard.

I wear size 14 boots and XXL Jetfins with bungee straps and comfortable even if a bit loose in the foot pocket. They would be perfect for size 15s.
DSCF2972.jpg

I thought about the Jets, since a pair of Turtle Fins had a foot pocket that wasn't nearly large enough. Thing is , the jets are heavy and I don't dive a dry suit (never even been in one). The OMS Slipstream 2 XL is, if I understand correctly, very similar but lighter. And the foot pocket seems like a good fit; just the sore feet at the end of the dive concerns me. I usually dive Atomic Aquatics Smoke on the Water splits, but it was an effort to pull them off my feet with the Stealths on.

These Neosport 7 mm boots I've ordered look have thinner soles, so I'm hoping the spring straps won't pull them onto the foot quite as strongly.

Richard.

The good news is its fairly easy to warm up between dives this time of year, plus the Truth boats have exterior showers so you can warm up that way if needed.

Water temps dipped briefly but have recently climbed up again. Between El Nino and "the Blob" water conditions have been sketchy to predict at best. I expect you will get mid to low 60's with a thermocline to the mid-50's in many spots. Water has been green lately but viz varies so much spot to spot, and day to day, it's impossible to tell what you might get. All that said- the Truth boats will get you to the best possible diving for wherever you are at.

Ditto. And ditto on the Truth..very good boat of many many years..

I think u know. There is a so cal dive report thread in the regional forum that should provide some clues. We continue to be hit by heat waves. Day time is averaging in the 90s aways from the coast. Hope we dont get more fires.

Welcome to So Cal!

Richard,
You've now got me curious which trip you're taking. My wife and I are leaving this Saturday night (August 6) on a 5 day trip to the southern islands on Conception. I see 2 other southern islands trips on the Truth Aquatics calendar: a 4 day trip on Vision organized by Christy Finnstead and then a 5 day limited load trip again on Vision. And Howard Hall has a 5 day trip on Conception leaving August 25. So which one are you on?

Just curious.
Bruce

I'm due to fly out August 15th for a 5-day limited load Southern Channel Island trip aboard the Vision. Hope to fly to LAX, connect to Santa Barbara Airport, take a taxi to the boat, board that evening, then dive the 5 days to return Saturday, overnight at a hotel & head out WAY early Sunday morning by taxi back to the airport & fly home.

I booked directly through Truth Aquatics, way back last year before it was a confirmed (listed in yellow high light) trip. I was told it's one of their featured trips (whatever that means), is being run by the owner of Truth Aquatics, and they've run it many years & never had to cancel for lack of participation (minimum 13 divers needed). Now it's in the 'yellow,' so it's confirmed.

For a 1st California trip, long enough to justify the airfare back & forth, and considering 5 days seems to be the longest trip offered out there (unless you book consecutive trips), it seemed to be a good choice.

Hope you'll post a trip report, Bruce. I compiled & wrote up a bunch of trip research notes & hope to write a trip report when I get back.

Richard.

P.S.: Those articles about Great Whites on California Diver Magazine online are messing with me. I know they come through Florida (where I've dove before some), too, but it's hard to day dream about the trip without my mind turning to imagining one coming after me. I keep thinking 'No, no! Kelp, sea lions, cold water! Kelp, sea lions, cold water...'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom