upgrade BCD from ranger to BM/SM configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy_Canuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
looking to upgrade from Zeagle ranger to Backmount / Sidemount BCD. any thoughts? i thought about modifying my Ranger to do this but i am concerned about trim issues. What are your thoughts about upgrading. and to what? i have master diver cert and looking to maybe get into more tec/cavern/cave diving and need more air at times but still need to BM at times. or dive Monkey i guess. Thoughts please?

I believe the Hollis SMS 75 and 100 can be fitted for back mount.

I tried the OMS sidemount adaptor on a BP/W system with some success, but ultimately purchased a sidemount only BCD.

You will not be allowed to use the OMS sidemount adapter in a cave with most instructors. It is a surprisingly legit system, but it's dangerous in an overhead due to the rigid plate.

Keep your ranger for backmount, buy a proper sidemount rig for sidemount.

Look at the UTD Alpha/Delta wing and harness. This is what I have and so far it's perfect.
Finally took it for a spin locally with a drysuit. I just removed the bunggees from the little loop on the wing (for bm) and my trim was spot on with neutral fins...
Haven't tried steel tanks yet...

The Dive Rite Nomad XT also does back mount and side mount. It is more suited to cold water diving and or with multiple tanks.

You will not be allowed to use the OMS sidemount adapter in a cave with most instructors. It is a surprisingly legit system, but it's dangerous in an overhead due to the rigid plate.

You don't have to use a solid plate with the OMS (or any hybrid). You can easily fit a soft-plate, such as the Oxycheq, Zeagle or Transpac.

List of Hybrid Sidemount Systems

Keep your ranger for backmount, buy a proper sidemount rig for sidemount.

I agree.... you can't beat a dedicated sidemount system. Just be aware that the sidemount rig selected should be optimal for the diving you will undertake, especially in regards to the cylinders you will use (read: The Two Schools Of Sidemount Design Heritage).

There's plenty of choice....and some are very economical...

Comprehensive List of Sidemount BCDs

Some good bargains available at the moment:

British (Mexico Cave) style - ideal for aluminum cylinders - DECO SIDEMOUNT is available for $249.

American (Florida Cave) style - ideal for steel cylinders - HOG SIDEMOUNT is available for $199.

Either of these is comparable in cost to buying a sidemount hybrid/adapter, bungees, snaps and/or a soft backplate etc...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom