Scuba Club Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can't please all the people all the time. If alcohol were included, people who don't drink it would resent paying higher prices to subsidize those who do.

I agree, most dive resorts I've dealt with don't book your airfare for you. If you want to go that route, maybe consider booked through Maduro, Caradonna or another travel agency?

Those long boat rides out don't sound fun. Wonder how long the ride is on one of the 'big beautiful boats?'

I appreciate a critical review now & again; sounds like there are issues prospective customers should know about, and those who don't mind at least understand what they're in for, and those who do can go with a group that has more clout, or go elsewhere?

Did many others complain about the pacing/scheduling of the meals? I would've thought at older crowd might be fussier about pressure to hurry & get places fast.

What other dive resorts have to used before? I'm just curious as to what you might be comparing SCC to. I've never dealt with SCC, so I've no direct experience with them.

Richard.

Thank you for the unbiased opinion!

For the ride on the "big beautiful boats", it's about 20% faster. I'm talking about the Reef Star boat I had the chance to take on the day there was not enough people on the Scuba II. Being faster is one thing, but the ride is also way more enjoyable so it seems to be a LOT shorter than on Scuba II where you can't hear talking and smell the diesel.

If I had been on the Reef Star all week like the VIP clients, this would not have been an issue.

I have not heard complaints about the pace from other users, but again, there seem to be a strange omerta from the VIP boy's club-like crowd there that the only comment you see or hear is all positive. Hence my review to set things a little straighter.

Usually, I go to all-inclusive resorts, at least 4 stars, and dive with nearby diving operations. All for about the same price it cost me in SCC. My expectation was to have a better experience as a diver in a diving resort. That's why I'm sad I didn't.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Obviously SCC isn't for you. I've enjoyed SCC and wasn't disturbed by any of the items you mention. I did research before going and knew what to expect beforehand. My trips there have been delightful. It's too bad they singled you out for such poor treatment after hearing so many other people love the place so much.

You may be happier at Iberostar or something like that. That's why there are many resorts at many locations up and down the coast, at many price levels, all over the Caribbean and Mexico. Best of luck in finding a resort that fulfills your needs.

Usually, I go to all-inclusive resorts, at least 4 stars, and dive with nearby diving operations. All for about the same price it cost me in SCC. My expectation was to have a better experience as a diver in a diving resort. That's why I'm sad I didn't.

I didn't get the advanges of an all-inclusive, that was expected. I had a worst diving experience than any other place I've been lately, that was NOT expected!

Thanks for the review... I thought it was well thought out. No, not everyone likes the long rides. Diving with lots of friends makes those long trips "OK". There are some islands where the average drive to the sites are about five minutes.

Thanks for the good words! I got many angry replies from SCC fans, but I think it's important to tell others what your experience was when it's so much different from the average comments you can read here about SCC.

Like I said to another user, I don't mind the hour ride on a good boat, but on the Scuba II it seemed a lot longer and was no fun at all.

Last edited:
I also went to Guadeloupe and Republican Republic and of course in Canada. I also went to Jamaica

Usually, I go to all-inclusive resorts, at least 4 stars.

Coming from someone who prefers not to stay at all-inclusive resorts, I will say that doing so creates certain expectations. My experience alongside people staying in 4+star all-inclusives is that they can be quite demanding, and as is evident in your review, become quite agitated when everything is not in accordance with what they expect for their money. Additionally, places like Guadeloupe, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and Cuba, for example, are commonly known as budget travel destinations, not diving ones. People don't go there for that. They go for a cheap vacation.

But Cozumel is different, and as unpleasant as your experience was, it's the world-class diving that draws people. SCC may have been playing that card a little strong for someone with your travel history.

I seriously recommend the Iberostar Cozumel for you. It's a 5 minute boat ride on a big boat, all inclusive, nice resort. You can't get any closer to the best deep diving. However, I'm not sure they do the C-53 but you can find a dive op who would take you if you are willing to taxi to town. Iberostar is the farthest resort from town but that may not matter to you.

Also consider the Park Royal. It's a bit closer to town and A-I. You have your choice of dive ops or can use the on-site dive op, Sand Dollar I believe. I used Dive With Martin which is a very short walk to the International Pier (or you can pay a pier fee to Sand Dollar and DWM will pick you up at the hotel pier).

Coming from someone who prefers not to stay at all-inclusive resorts, I will say that doing so creates certain expectations. My experience alongside people staying in 4+star all-inclusives is that they can be quite demanding, and as is evident in your review, become quite agitated when everything is not in accordance with what they expect for their money. Additionally, places like Guadeloupe, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and Cuba, for example, are commonly known as budget travel destinations, not diving ones. People don't go there for that. They go for a cheap vacation.

But Cozumel is different, and as unpleasant as your experience was, it's the world-class diving that draws people. SCC may have been playing that card a little strong for someone with your travel history.

Hi, by the way as great as Cozumel is as diving goes, you seem to underestimate Guadeloupe. There's a Cousteau marine reserve in bouillante (Basse-Terre) with incredible diving. At least as good as Cozumel, just not as big. There are also great sites in Deshaies, Port-Louis and others.

I understand several things this OP is saying. We stayed at SCC with a photography group one time and stayed elsewhere and dove with the onsite dive op the other (too much carrying of gear so haven't done that again). The first trip we had Nestor (a great DM) and the second trip we had Miguel who was only interested in hunting lionfish. I noticed that the rooms for the non-regulars were much lower in quality and location than for those who were regulars. The tip schedule was off putting and added a lot to the cost. Plus, it all had to be cash (at least at the time). I remember the water tasting bad in the restaurant. The shore diving was great and easy to enter and exit. I liked the big roomy boats with a nice camera table and head. We have also stayed at the Cozumel Palace and Iberostar but are still searching for a combination that really matches everything we are looking for. We like all inclusives, a boat with head and shade, location closer to the reefs, great DM's allowing us to dive our air and show us lots of critters, and valet type diving service. Is this asking too much?!?!?!?!

The 2 dive resorts I've stayed at were on Bonaire, not Cozumel. From that, trip reports by others, reading here & there, I get the impression many 'dive resorts' are a good deal different from some of the A.I. operations I've read about, like Sandals, for example. If you read threads on the forum by divers looking for a place to stay, you'll see a few asking about luxury, but often there seems to be more emphasis on value/budget considerations. Or so has been my impression. And dive resorts often aren't A.I.; in Bonaire, most aren't.

An A.I. that happens to have a good dive op. onsite is not exactly the same thing, but probably more in line with what you're hoping for. I hear 'dive resort,' and I think Buddy Dive Resort in Bonaire, SCC in Cozumel, etc...

Richard.

Hello,

That's was not my point. I listed all the not-included items for this all-inclusive resort. The plane trip is just one of them.
But it is a rather large one, don't you think? When I go to Cozumel the plane fare is something like 1/3 the cost of the trip. Maybe there are some dive resorts who will pick up the tab for the plane ride, I dunno, but I've never heard of it. I certainly wouldn't assume it is part of the package price or even that it should be.

Yes, the tip sheet is a bit onerous, but tipping is voluntary; I would ignore it and tip as I see fit.

BTW, I am not an SCC "fanboy". I have never stayed there and probably never will. I am a Blue Angel fanboy, I guess. :D

Everyone has different expectations and personal habits that can impact enjoyment. I am curious to learn more about your other travels and the type/price of resorts you visited. That may help us understand a frame of reference for your review.

As a perfect example, I loved SCC, knowing what it was. My wife would NOT like it, for the same reasons. Different people and different expectations. She is more of a Hyatt, Marriott, or Atlantis type of person.

Personally, I never felt rushed or unable to enjoy the food at SCC. Maybe I prep my gear before dinner, and you do it after. Maybe you enjoy a longer more relaxed breakfast, and I just eat and go. Maybe you like to clean up, shower, and tend to your gear before lunch, and I stow it in the locker and go eat in my boat clothes. Whatever the situation, I did not feel put-out, as you might have. Everyone is different.

During my visit to SCC, I was on both the large and smaller boat. I really enjoyed the smaller boat more than the larger one. It seemed that entry and exit was easier and quicker, with less waiting in line or fussing about waiting my turn on the ladder. In fact, on the small boat, we did a back entry over the side, which is MUCH faster and easier than walking one-at-a-time to the stern for the giant stride.

I do disagree with your 'rich man' comments. I would consider SCC a budget-minded location vacation. As for value, I'm curious how much you paid. My local club has a trip in October for $1069 (7 nights, with 5 days of diving). I think that's an incredible deal. It is NOT all-inclusive, and I wonder if that might be one of the sticking points. It is 'Meals Included'.

In contrast, I checked Iberostar (advertised as all-inclusive), and it was $1050 for the exact same dates. BUT, it did not include diving. They charge somewhere around $90 per 2-tank trip, so add another $450 for diving. What was your bar bill (alcohol and soda) at SCC? Was it $450?

One big difference for us was that I traveled with a group. I made lots of new friends and enjoyed hanging out. We bought booze, soda, and snacks at the grocery. We hung out and talked about diving, and family, and whatever other BS. Had a great time.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy SCC. Don't give up on Cozumel!

Back
Top Bottom