Ranger LTD trim issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flspy

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone else feel the Zeagle rangers trim is a bit off? The weight pouches push the center of gravity low and towards the back. IF I release all tension in my body and just let the rig take me, I slowly roll into a half back flip and would sink to the bottom tank first.

Another diver suggested I put weight pockets on the top tank band to trim better. Seems like putting a couple of pound on the chest area would be more effective. Pushing tank bands down as far as they will go helps, but you can only go down so far on 100 steels. Plus, now the valve is high enough that I might bump it with my head.

Thoughts? anyone else out there with the issue? And has anyone used the less expensive tank band pockets from manufactures like XS? I can't justify $50-60 bucks for something Zeagle should have included in the first place!

I was issued the Zeagle 911, which is similar with a larger bladder and double waist straps. If you are adding weight to the tank, seems to me it would make you sink tank first even worse. Do you not have pockets at/in front of your hips with red zippers? If weighting in those pockets doesn't keep you face down, I don't know what will.

The
I was issued the Zeagle 911, which is similar with a larger bladder and double waist straps. If you are adding weight to the tank, seems to me it would make you sink tank first even worse. Do you not have pockets at/in front of your hips with red zippers? If weighting in those pockets doesn't keep you face down, I don't know what will.

The Ranger places the weight pockets to the rear, and the pockets in general are hard to get to. I have seen where the pockets placed on the top tank band really do help.

I bought a ranger on many a recommendation. Same deal. I needed 4#
On the top band to correct trim.
They work OK, but I was never comfortable. Sold it a bought a harness and wing. They are way more secure and comfortable. Easy don and doff. Fully scalable and customizable. Funny you don't see more.

I bought a ranger on many a recommendation. Same deal. I needed 4#
On the top band to correct trim.
They work OK, but I was never comfortable. Sold it a bought a harness and wing. They are way more secure and comfortable. Easy don and doff. Fully scalable and customizable. Funny you don't see more.

I think that is where I am headed now too. I live in South Florida and they are very popular among the locals. The Zeagle is comfortable but just way too bulky and I really don't need 44# of buoyancy. I also wonder how much of my diving has been spent unconsciously correcting my swimming angle. Should have learned from my experience with the travel BCD that less is more. The Zeagle will probably be going on Ebay soon.

What backplate and wing did you go with? I am looking at the Dive Rite gear now.

I think that is where I am headed now too. I live in South Florida and they are very popular among the locals. The Zeagle is comfortable but just way too bulky and I really don't need 44# of buoyancy. I also wonder how much of my diving has been spent unconsciously correcting my swimming angle. Should have learned from my experience with the travel BCD that less is more. The Zeagle will probably be going on Ebay soon.

What backplate and wing did you go with? I am looking at the Dive Rite gear now.
I can understand that. The 911 I was issued has 65# of buoyancy. Like you said, it is comfortable, but there's a whole lot of wing flopping around behind me. Also, the padded back retains air and makes me have to work to get down several feet to squeeze it out.

I went to a UTD sidemount harness. No actual backplate, just a one piece harness and two tiny plates for threading. No need for a chest strap. Here's a long winded video on the Delta wing...

Any thought on the size of the crotch straps? DiveRite/DGX offers three widths. 2" is the widest and they recommend that for UW propulsion vehicles. I just don't want something that will make finning uncomfortable.

Anyone else feel the Zeagle rangers trim is a bit off? The weight pouches push the center of gravity low and towards the back. IF I release all tension in my body and just let the rig take me, I slowly roll into a half back flip and would sink to the bottom tank first.

Another diver suggested I put weight pockets on the top tank band to trim better. Seems like putting a couple of pound on the chest area would be more effective. Pushing tank bands down as far as they will go helps, but you can only go down so far on 100 steels. Plus, now the valve is high enough that I might bump it with my head.!

I have had my Ranger for a little over 4 years now. Most of my dive group all use the Ranger, or the Zena (for the Girls). I was one of the few people having trim issues. He is what I did.

1. Dive Shop sold me a Large. - I am 5'7", 165. Sold my son a Medium, he is 6' and 160. We swapped our shoulder straps, and most my trim issues went away. Not sure if this applies to you, but a thought.

Rangers are a different BC from the typical jackets, but I love mine.

2. What type of Regulator do you use? I am Atomics. I flipped the hoses around and setup the 1st stage to point down, on mine and my daughters Rigs. Bumping the head has become a far less problem.

I have had my Ranger for a little over 4 years now. Most of my dive group all use the Ranger, or the Zena (for the Girls). I was one of the few people having trim issues. He is what I did.

1. Dive Shop sold me a Large. - I am 5'7", 165. Sold my son a Medium, he is 6' and 160. We swapped our shoulder straps, and most my trim issues went away. Not sure if this applies to you, but a thought.

Rangers are a different BC from the typical jackets, but I love mine.

2. What type of Regulator do you use? I am Atomics. I flipped the hoses around and setup the 1st stage to point down, on mine and my daughters Rigs. Bumping the head has become a far less problem.

I have Atomics as well. But bumping my head is not so much the issue as just the way the trim works.

Back
Top Bottom