anyone know how to access the C53 wreck as a shore dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that is why the question was posted. i personally have never been to that site. there are web sites online that claim the wreck can be done from shore and the start point can be outside the park. why pay 40 bucks when u can pay 6 for a tank and still enjoy the same dive.
the wife and i will be down in nov and we want to do some shore dives. i am simply trying to find any extra info i can. this site seemed like a spot both of us would really enjoy.
thx to all the helpful people on this forum it has been pointed out that it simply is not a practical idea.
thx
rick

The current in that area is unpredictable. It can change from South to North, then North to South with a swirling circular current in between. Also, you can have a current that takes you out to the wall & beyond. If you & your wife want the ride of your life, then it may be for you. But it maybe your last one.

Be kind folks. It was a fair & honest question which has been answered well enough that those who also might think about it now know better.
As for shore dives it has been pointed out that within the marine park you need a guide that has been accredited by the Park Authority, & the Park starts at roughly the northern end of Paradise Reef near the cruise ship pier. Shore diving from about where El Cid / Park Royal & north is allowed but not south of there because first come the 2 piers then the Park.

that is why the question was posted. i personally have never been to that site. there are web sites online that claim the wreck can be done from shore and the start point can be outside the park.
The wreck is in the park, and the park boundary is at least a mile north of it. The prevailing current runs from south to north. So I guess you'd enter at the northern park boundary and swim south against the current through the cruise ship piers for a mile or two to get to the wreck.

Right. :D

I would love to see those sites.

I don't have a URL, and I'm not going to go looking, but I've read that you can shore dive the C-53. What I remember seeing wasn't some yahoo talking about having done so, it was part of some vacation advertising from a travel company, or a resort, or something like that. I've also read about the amazing snorkeling in Cozumel on multiple occasions.

When we went in December we had the thoughts of snorkeling and was going to go to the beach known as El Cielo. So we drove over to it went down a long horrible dirt road..dont take a car down it...needs to be an SUV or truck only to find a major tourist trap so we turned around extremely quickly. Went over to the Gulf side where the beaches are and didnt see much worth snorkeling for plus the water seemed a good bit colder over there

Snorkeling in many areas BEFORE hurricane Wilma hit in 2005 was exceptional right up to the shore line. Wilma destroyed most of the corals that drew the marine life & things haven't recovered. There isn't a Gulf side, you were on the side facing out into the Caribbean Sea & eventually the Atlantic.

Snorkeling in many areas BEFORE hurricane Wilma hit in 2005 was exceptional right up to the shore line. Wilma destroyed most of the corals that drew the marine life & things haven't recovered. There isn't a Gulf side, you were on the side facing out into the Caribbean Sea & eventually the Atlantic.

Yes thats where we were and you could see the dead corals in the water...black blobs everywhere

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom