Certified as of today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats as well. I bought most of my stuff used mostly from our local shop 11 years ago. Some has been replaced, but only recently. Old stuff that works and is safe is good. Man, I really need to get a new BC though....

Congrats as well. I bought most of my stuff used mostly from our local shop 11 years ago. Some has been replaced, but only recently. Old stuff that works and is safe is good. Man, I really need to get a new BC though....
Thx, my LDS has a site where they put items on sale, I'm going to try to purchase piece by piece. Everyone's information has been awesome.

this ^^ is the koolaid i was talking about.[/QUOT
To be clear - I would buy fins that I tried on and swam with from my LDS. Being able to try things on is the advantage of purchasing through an LDS. I do not believe in using my LDS as a "fitting room" and then ordering the product online. We just paid through the nose to purchase a new BCD for my divebuddy at a LDS. We could have confirmed the size and then ordered online, but that's not cricket. I am willing to pay a premium for service that an online supplier can not provide.

But: I just received a dive light in the mail the other day. None of my LDS stocked the brand / model I wanted (LDS == limited selection). I knew the light and it was on deep discount clearance sale online. It cost less than 50% of buying a comparable light at a LDS.
The Package Best For The Elemental Diver
elemental%20low%20res%202016.jpg
Elemental Package For Divers

Calypso Regulator (Quick Connect or Classic)
Pro BC Designed For Economic Quality
ABS Octopus - Easiest To Use Alternate Air
Analog 2- Gauge Console

Regular Price - $1049.00

Special Package Price - $699.00

The Package For The Traveling Diver
travel%20low%20res%202016.jpg

Package For The Traveling Diver

Micron Regulator - Small Format, High Performance
Zuma BC - Designed With Lightweight and Travel In Mind
i300 2- Gauge Computer Console (Black Or Blue Trim)

Regular Price - $1483.00

Special Package Price - $999.00

The Package Designed For Women
womens%20low%20res%202016.jpg
Woman's Scuba Package

Titan Regulator (Quick Connect or Classic)
Pearl BC Designed Especially For Women

Regular Price - $1493.00

Special Package Price - $999.00

A Package For The Essential Diver
essentials%20low%20res%202016.jpg
Essential Package For Divers

Titan Regulator (Quick Connect or Classic)
Pro HD BC Designed With Divers Comfort In Mind

Regular Price - $1413.00

Special Package Price - $969.00

These are are from my LDS, I would like your opinion on if any of these are good deals? You're not trying to make a sale, and you've given me great info.

I prefer to buy local although it costs me a few bucks more. My reasoning is I get to touch it and feel it and try it on rather than ordering a photo on some website. My other reasoning is if it isn't right, I can take it back. That means they have a dissatisfied customer in their store if they aren't exchange friendly. If all else fails, we can both let a judge decide whose right in small claims right here in the county. I've gotten blown off enough online when something I received wasn't what I ordered, and then I have to pay to ship it back and argue via email and finally file a dispute with my credit card company. I don't have the time or money to fly to California and spend a week in a hotel to argue over a $100 item in California small claims, and they know that. I don't like being the one at the disadvantage in a deal.

I went thru that crap with Leisure Pro a few years ago. The first wrist compass they sent me the wrist strap was broken. I finally argued with them enough via email and phone that they sent me a replacement. That one had an air bubble about the size of a dime in it. After about 3 months of email tag and $25 in shipping I finally got one from them that worked. I coulda just bought one locally and still had enough money let over to rent two 80's for a dive.

But the most obvious reason is I'm supporting my local dive shop. Good dive shops are a blessing to have in your area. I rented a tank last year from Olympus Dive Center (Morehead) for my weekly dive on the rock jetty. I owned all the other gear. Getting in the water my alternate regulator free flowed about 1 foot of water and I couldn't get it to stop. Did all the regular stuff and got back in the water 4 or 5 times. Finally gave up until I could get my reg checked out. When I got back to the dive shop the guy asked me how was the vis today on the rock jetty. I told him about my reg and that I didn't get to go diving today. He wrote me a coupon for a free tank next time I went diving because of the charge for the tank that day. Certainly wasn't the dive shops fault my reg was bad. No way it was their fault I emptied the tank with a leak and didn't get to dive. I fully didn't expect them to do that but I appreciated it. That's a difference between a great dive shop and a "Gee sorry to hear about that. That sucks." dive shop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom