Petrel 2 - Any reason not to upgrade firmware?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jzipfel

Contributor
Reaction score
I have purchased 2 used Petrels from SB members in the past couple months and both of them were still running FW V.29.

Given the current FW is V.37 is there any reason not to upgrade or could someone tell me why they have not upgraded.

I have purchased 2 used Petrels from SB members in the past couple months and both of them were still running FW V.29.

Given the current FW is V.37 is there any reason not to upgrade or could someone tell me why they have not upgraded.

We always recommend that divers update to the most current version of firmware. There are often fixes or new features that divers have requested. To see the changes implemented, check out the release notes in the Petrel downloads section of our website.

We hope you enjoy diving with your Petrels.

We always recommend that divers update to the most current version of firmware. There are often fixes or new features that divers have requested. To see the changes implemented, check out the release notes in the Petrel downloads section of our website.

Have you fixed the ascent arrow problem (diver's getting full bars for going up a foot or two) that was included in the latest update?

I own a Petrel 2 and a Perdix, and I use both. The first time I did that, I was dismayed to find that they were giving me different deco times, even though the settings were all identical. It turned out I had missed a firmware update for the Petrel 2, and it was not calculating my previous tissue loading properly. I would say for that reason alone you want to do the updates.

Have you fixed the ascent arrow problem (diver's getting full bars for going up a foot or two) that was included in the latest update?

Yes, that would be 1 of the fixes I referred to :) V37 is the newest version of firmware.

I just found it odd that both units were still using FM V29 and both had been used within a week of me purchasing them.

These were two different units from two different persons.

Same reason some people are on the oldest versions of iOS and so on, "if it ain't broke dont fix it" mindset still applies.

Maybe they just weren't aware that there were improvements.

I'm a paranoiac. And a professional software developer. I would update one and dive it at least once before I updated the other. There is "known working" and then there is "KNOWN working".

I'm a paranoiac. And a professional software developer. I would update one and dive it at least once before I updated the other. There is "known working" and then there is "KNOWN working".

Fortunately, Shearwater ain't Apple. I update my Petral whenever an upgrade is available. The only issue I had (many months ago) is that the Petral wouldn't sync with my Mac to download logs. One email and a sent link later, Shearwater Support had me sorted out. (It was a Mac thing when both device updated at the same time...)

Fortunately, Shearwater ain't Apple. I update my Petral whenever an upgrade is available. The only issue I had (many months ago) is that the Petral wouldn't sync with my Mac to download logs. One email and a sent link later, Shearwater Support had me sorted out. (It was a Mac thing when both device updated at the same time...)

Understood. And it's great that Shearwater inspires such confidence in people. But, when you're tech diving, should you ask "any reason not to update both?" Or should you be asking "any reason I need to update both at the same time?"

Maybe I've just read too many books on scuba accidents now... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom