Speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the positive comments cuzz!

As for visibility... that is extremely important when selecting the proper gun. Probably more important than brand etc. That is why we offer guns from 55 to 140 cm.

If anyone has any doubts about the effectiveness of our guns. Just check out our Facebook page,. Hundreds of customer pics of fish they've landed with our gear and guns and pole Spears.

I do not think it best to learn about spearfishing on the internet. Hook up with buddies in your area that share the same interests. Buddies that know the laws and the best eating fish, crab, shellfish, octopus, etc. For example, if I go to Oregon/Washington. I will hook up with buddies on SpearBoard or SCUBABoard. May want to start off with an inexpensive polespear before forking out money for a speargun. For low Vis conditions Northern California groundfish, I need a flashlight. A single band 75cm is my go to gun for kayak kelp diving. But for most California groundfish around the rocks a small pneumatic with a flashlight is the easiest for me to use, except for larger lingcod. My 75 can handle large lingcod and halibut, but sucks for hunting in rocks/kelp (reloading takes longer and longer shooting line) and the spear can be easily bent if the fish swims into the rocks. For Central/Southern California better Vis, I use a 110cm.

I think you can see that I use different guns depending on conditions. I never use my 110 where I live. For low Vis hunting in rocks/kelp my 75 is not that fun. I would even prefer a polespear with sliptip. On SCUBA, I only use a small Riffe with triple bands which will work on all California groundfish. I only use 1 band in the rocks.

Dive shops may also have outings in your area for hunting.

On bands. Noncoated amber/black rubber degrades faster than coated amber or black bands. Bands are inexpensive and easy to make. Mako has materials and excellent instructions on making bands. I am currently trying out 16mm Salvimar acid green bands. For wishbones, I prefer the yellow 1000lb Riffe spectra. Check out the Mako site on loading a speargun.

Last edited:
Put a post on spearboard looking for a buddy. JBL or Riffe will get you started. Buy used but you will need new bands on a used gun.
You can also try to find a local club or others buddies in local scuba shop bulletin boards.

You've received some pretty solid advice so far. I'll add this. Gun length and type is largely personal, but also dictated in large part by the environment and the type of fish you are after.

A bluewater gun will not do well for reef fish. Reverse is also true.

In most cases, however, you can't go wrong with a 48" or longer gun. AB Biller, Ocean Rhino, Koah, Mako, and others all make quality guns. If your prey of choice tends to be in small holes and legdes, a smaller gun may be desirable. But in most cases, bigger is better. Larger guns always have greater range.

I shoot an Ocean Rhino RX5. Gun has two bands, but I've only ever shot it one banded. Never had a problem with penetration, or range.

Take a look at what the divers in your area are using, as different regions tend to have different techniques and favorites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom