Simple VIS question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you need to define "good through" - the tank won't be eligible for a refill if the VIP is expired, but IMO you can use the tank and then bring it in for a VIP

I've argued and discussed the first-or-last-day-expiration question with numerous PSI functionaries at DEMA over the years. The PSI position seems to be based on a fear that, if the sticker expires at the end of the month rather than the beginning, by adroit manipulation of when they take the tank in, a few people might manage to squeeze 13 MONTHS out of a sticker. Horrors!

Do the words revenue stream come to mind.

I have a lot of tanks and they get a VIZ or hydro when I empty them, some are "overdue" and some are very overdue. My favorites are pretty much on time and the others are are a source of amusement with my LDS. I understand I cannot get a fill if the inspections is out of date, and I act accordingly.

Bob

As the man with my hands on the fill whip it is my safety that is on the line. If you get a vip in January 1st then it is good until December 31 (one full year). The way I handle it is any vip done prior to the middle of the month gets that month punched, anything after that gets next month. About as fair a system as I can come up with.

BTW the argument that tanks don't blow up on the exact date they go out of vip is meaningless. Not many tanks do blow up, but if one does while I am standing next to it that is the only one I care about.

As the man with my hands on the fill whip it is my safety that is on the line. If you get a vip in January 1st then it is good until December 31 (one full year). The way I handle it is any vip done prior to the middle of the month gets that month punched, anything after that gets next month. About as fair a system as I can come up with.

So, you inspect a tank on January 16th, 2016, and put a sticker on it that says you inspected it in February, 2016?

Your process results in some people only getting to fill their tank for 50 weeks before they have to get it VIP'ed again, where other people get to go 54 weeks before another VIP. But, the process that says "expires the last day of the month" means that everyone gets at least 52 weeks and someone who gets a VIP on the 1st of the month gets 56 weeks.

So, you're willing to falsify a VIP sticker (admittedly, in a pretty minor way) in order to prevent anyone from getting an extra 2 weeks (56 weeks vs 54 weeks doing it your way) of use of their tank before needing a new VIP?

And what happens if you VIP a tank, put next month's sticker on it, the owner takes it diving somewhere and needs to get a fill at that location? If the other shop says "your sticker is dated in the future. That's invalid. You're going to have to pay us for a VIP before we can fill it" would you reimburse your customer for that?

Getting a VIP at one shop then needing fills someplace totally different a few days later has been my situation numerous times now. I get tanks VIP'ed and filled at home, then drive to NC and dive for 2 or 3 days, getting fills there each evening. And I have definitely been places where they would use any excuse to require a new VIP.

Wow, this is why I stay off this site. I try to be fair and came up with a middle of the road solution and I get grief for it. First of all there is no written rule that says 1st of the month or last day of the month. Second I inform my customers that if they are going to travel that they will have to take a current vis date so that they don't run into the situation you talk about, and why would you even think I wouldn't address this with my customers (oh yeah I own a lds, so I must be some evil spawn of Satan only out to steal money)

And most importantly you ignored the main point of my post. I AM THE MAN STANDING NEXT TO YOUR CYLINDER AS IT IS GETTING FILLED. If you think your $8.00 is going to make me rich you can go buy your own compressor and you never need to visit a dive shop again.

And most importantly you ignored the main point of my post. I AM THE MAN STANDING NEXT TO YOUR CYLINDER AS IT IS GETTING FILLED. If you think your $8.00 is going to make me rich you can go buy your own compressor and you never need to visit a dive shop again.

I got that. And you think that that extra 2 weeks is the difference between your willingness to stand there as it fills and not. I have never filled a tank myself, so I will have to take your word for it.

I am planning to take the VIP, O2 Cleaning, and Gas Blender courses, so I can do my own work on my tanks and my own fills at the LDS where I'm going to take the class. I don't have that knowledge or experience yet, so I bow to your judgment. But, even from here, I can tell you one thing. I will never (intentionally) put a VIP sticker on a tank that says I inspected something on some date in the future.

Since you are so worried about it, why don't you just go with the policy that VIP stickers expire on the 1st day of the month? Then you will also protect yourself, as you're standing next to the cylinder as it is getting filled, from cylinders that were inspected on Jan 1, at another shop, and are now at your shop for a fill on Jan 30 of the next year? I mean, if you don't trust cylinders that you inspected yourself 56 weeks ago, how could you possibly trust a cylinder that was inspected 56 weeks ago by someone else?

Or you could have a policy that all VIP stickers expire on the 15th of the month. That would work exactly the same as what you do now for your own VIP stickers. Your customers would get anywhere from 50 to 54 weeks before they have to have another VIP, depending on which part of the month they brought their tanks in. And it would also cover VIP stickers from other shops - also giving them from 50 to 54 weeks. And it would save you from having to future-date your own VIP stickers.

It is not just a question of trusting my own vip's it is a matter of trusting someone else's compressor and someone else's diving practice, I have had divers come in bragging about how they dove a tank down to empty, not 500 psi but full empty. Again it doesn't make s difference. From now on I am going to play it safe. All vip expire on the 1st of the month, thank you for opening my eyes. No good deed goes unpunished.

Back
Top Bottom